urban shop in China

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cutting tools and accessories.
In April,I manage to scratch the surface along Canton Road District,Yaumatei,Mongkok,New Territories,Hongkong. Bought some USA,EU,Japanese and Taiwanese cutting tools and accessories. My Cantonese vocab with cutting tools etc is limited though I speak fluent Cantonese. You could get the items you want using English Terms. Was surprised when I asked for Silver Steel and HSS. Bought some. There is one shop that sells Vertek,Taiwan Dividing Head. Vertek quality surpassed China's.
The local machines look down on M.I.C. cutting tools etc and they go for non-Chinese.

Canton Road district is quite interesting.

Very nice shop and lots of electronics.

In the video of your small mill cutting the stepper mount the tool path is very interesting- it seems to be doing a ramp down on the circular arc. How did you generate that Gcode?

I saw you mention that Nanjing is more oriented towards commercial and industrial machining. However I believe that the type of stuff used by industry is not always useless to the hobbyist. In fact, I actually try to seek that stuff out where finances allow, since I find the quality to be better, especially with carbide inserts, if you get the right ones.

In the suburb, there's this Rhode-island sized lot, filled with retired second-hand machineries from manual lathes to CNC machining centers; all for a dime a dozen, quite literally. Problem is they weigh in at half-a-ton and on up...

Then there are these boulevards, streets, and back alleys, lined with everything from full-blown malls to single mom-and-pop shops selling nothing but end mills, cutters, tool bits etc... You could essentially window-shop Kennametal, Hauser (SIP), Mitsubishi, etc, etc... They are conveniently downtown too! And not to mention the "farmer's market" for aluminum, brass, bronze, steel, tungsten, etc etc...

The problem is they cost roughly double what it does online from the even seedier southern provinces ... :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas. Trust not too cold now in Nanjing and no snow.

Its been a wet pre-Christmas. Fishing been erratic but FAD(fish attracting device or artificial reefs) put in two weeks ago may attract fish and stay longer for Gus to hook up for dinner.

SOS. Please give me the e-address of the Southern Chinese Suppliers.
Been buying from CTCtools shipped direct thru HongKong.
Been shopping in Shenzhen for cutting tools but these shops are more pro-
industrial.

If boat-fishing is in your blood,Gus will be happy to take you out for a spin
and seafood dinner at the Marina.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Merry Christmas to you too and happy new year!

I had the opportunity to do some recreational occean sailing a few years ago and enjoyed the life on the sea... Haben't tried fishing though.

Back