urban shop in China

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxotnik

Reaction score
Hello. Here's my workshop, mainly for micro-scale prototyping and scale model building.

universal milling machine and Garfield's cousin the feral feline apprentice :rolleyes:

SAM_4219.jpg

SAM_4446.jpg

SAM_4457.jpg

QQ截图20131215070133.jpg

SAM_4453.jpg

That's one hell of a great workshop. Love Garfield's cousin too.

No lost space there, love it, interesting that CNC is over my head for now and possible years to come, I think the cat is the BOSS and in the second picture he does not look happy, thanks, Lathe Nut

No lost space there, love it, interesting that CNC is over my head for now and possible years to come, I think the cat is the BOSS and in the second picture he does not look happy, thanks, Lathe Nut

Efficient comfort ... that's what I shoot for. As to the cat, he orders, we (me and my wife) serve ... :rolleyes:

Wow great workshop. i would love to see the edm machine and the pulse welder in action :).

Great work oxotnik.

Nice view on the lights, what is the city? I spent 2 months working in Wuhan this year and may be spending some more time next year, really enjoyed my time while in China. Mike

Nice collection of tools! The cat certainly looks like the master of the house!

It looks like you do a lot of machine build and modification your self. Is the little CNC router purchased or self built?

Nice collection of tools! The cat certainly looks like the master of the house!

It looks like you do a lot of machine build and modification your self. Is the little CNC router purchased or self built?

I only venture into very light-duty machine modifications and retrofits; relying on off-shelf commercial machine frames for basic robustness and precision.

The CNC routers were comission builds; they prototype small parts and molds in aluminum, brass, and some bronze.

Here it's making a stepper mounting for the baby-lathe from 7075 aluminum alloy:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aYr5qp0eLI[/ame]

Hi Oxotnik,
Where are you located in China?
Spent time in Nanjing in the early 80s and again the 00s running an air compressor plant.
Nanjing Food is 180 degrees different from GuangZhou food.Had a tough time adapting.
Nanjing Dialect is different from my Singapore Chinese Dialect. Been fun adapting.
Trust you are having a great time there. Machine tool accessories and cutters are so cost effective.

Your machineshop look so clean and high-tech.

Hello!
Thankyou for the photos of your workshop. I could not but notice that you have the same small Seig X2 lathe as do I. I am a bit of a computer luddite so I will suggest something: In the topic Machine Modifications there is a post on the top of page 3 entitled "Steamboat Willie's Lathe Mods". If I knew more about computers I would cleverly post the link and you could just click. However as I am not I invite you to look at this post which is a treatise on how I improved the tailstock usability on my Seig lathe. I am sure that you have found the tailstock design on the lathe a right pain to use (as did I), so I came up with a solution that involved minimal alteration to the machine itself. Given the superb standard of your workshop I feel almost duty-bound to suggest this improvement to your machine to assist you in avoiding "Tailstock Rage"!!!
Thanks for the photos!
Bill.

Hi, Gus. Nanjing is way too catered towards the pro/industrial grade machining. Most all my toolings for hobby stuff are bought online from the southern provinces. Nontheless, a pretty nice city; fairly laid back I'd say...

Hi Oxotnik,
Where are you located in China?
Spent time in Nanjing in the early 80s and again the 00s running an air compressor plant.
Nanjing Food is 180 degrees different from GuangZhou food.Had a tough time adapting.
Nanjing Dialect is different from my Singapore Chinese Dialect. Been fun adapting.
Trust you are having a great time there. Machine tool accessories and cutters are so cost effective.

Your machineshop look so clean and high-tech.

Hi Gus. I am located

Hello!
Thankyou for the photos of your workshop. I could not but notice that you have the same small Seig X2 lathe as do I. I am a bit of a computer luddite so I will suggest something: In the topic Machine Modifications there is a post on the top of page 3 entitled "Steamboat Willie's Lathe Mods". If I knew more about computers I would cleverly post the link and you could just click. However as I am not I invite you to look at this post which is a treatise on how I improved the tailstock usability on my Seig lathe. I am sure that you have found the tailstock design on the lathe a right pain to use (as did I), so I came up with a solution that involved minimal alteration to the machine itself. Given the superb standard of your workshop I feel almost duty-bound to suggest this improvement to your machine to assist you in avoiding "Tailstock Rage"!!!
Thanks for the photos!
Bill.

Hi Bill, I located your thread on tailstock improvement for the SIEG C2 lathe. Nice enclosure. I think SIEG must have read your thread; they incorporated the cam/lever design in newer editions of C2/SC2's. Mine came with this feature factory stock. Thanks for the thread; it gave me some ideas on building an enclosure/case for my lathe.

Nice view on the lights, what is the city? I spent 2 months working in Wuhan this year and may be spending some more time next year, really enjoyed my time while in China. Mike

I've yet to venture that far inland in China. Wuhan is about 1500 miles upstream from where I am...

Hi, Gus. Nanjing is way too catered towards the pro/industrial grade machining. Most all my toolings for hobby stuff are bought online from the southern provinces. Nontheless, a pretty nice city; fairly laid back I'd say...

Hi Gus. I am located

Merry Christmas. Trust not too cold now in Nanjing and no snow.

Its been a wet pre-Christmas. Fishing been erratic but FAD(fish attracting device or artificial reefs) put in two weeks ago may attract fish and stay longer for Gus to hook up for dinner.

SOS. Please give me the e-address of the Southern Chinese Suppliers.
Been buying from CTCtools shipped direct thru HongKong.
Been shopping in Shenzhen for cutting tools but these shops are more pro-
industrial.

If boat-fishing is in your blood,Gus will be happy to take you out for a spin
and seafood dinner at the Marina.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

I saw you mention that Nanjing is more oriented towards commercial and industrial machining. However I believe that the type of stuff used by industry is not always useless to the hobbyist. In fact, I actually try to seek that stuff out where finances allow, since I find the quality to be better, especially with carbide inserts, if you get the right ones.

Latest posts

Back