Upshur Twin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The maximum amount of heat generated is ultimately related to the motor power.
A 5 HP lathe roughing heavy cut needs coolant but a 1/2 HP rarely demanding top power from the motor does not generate enough heat to bother.
Model engineering involves mostly light cutting trying to hit a dimension. Cutting oil will improve finish, reduce heating and add a modest cooling. That is all I ever need and use.
For critical parting or deep grooving (like cylinder fins) I have rigged a gravity dribble tube mounted on top of the tool post, adjustable and orientable. A milk bottle with transmission fluid on a high shelf, hoses and a needle valve. The bottle has a tight cap with an additional air hose, I blow into to start the siphoning, I use my compressed air but not directly or the bottle will explode, just direct the nozzle toward the tube.
The transmission fluid collect on the lover point of the chip pan where a fitting and a hose route the fluid to a receiver bottle, once a year I may need to transfer from receiver to the high tank.

Hello,

Can you tell me how you transferred the holes from the cylinder liner flange to the casing? I know there are a few methods.... I’m just looking for the least problematic!

Regards
Tom

Use a hole transfer pin or a close fitting pointed dowel to punchmark ONE hole.
Drill and thread that one ole
Install the finned sleeve and the cylinder liner in the crankcase and place that one screw Now the head is not going to rotate when you transfer punch all other holes.

I did not like to fiddle with the screws in a cramped space so I loctited studs in the case. The studs have the first 3 thread turned down to the root diameter. The nut sits on top of the stud nice and square while I spin it by hand, final tightening with an open wrench.
Is the way cylinder ought to be bolted anyway.

Latest posts

Back