Upsher farm engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layne

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just recently found the site and am enjoying seeing all the cool engines here. I was inspired to post my own after seeing Metal Butcher's very nice Upsher engines he built. I built this one in 2003 when I was attending technical college for machining. I turned out to be the only person in one class, so they let me build whatever I wanted and this was it. I got the plans from a friend of mine that copied them from an old magazine. There was no hit & miss version or governor of any sort included in these plans (I'm assuming they were an older version than what Metal Butcher has) so I designed my own. I had no way of knowing how heavy the flyweights need to be so I just estimated and made the spring adjustable. I still have no idea if it works. I only had the engine running once and decided it needed a new longer reach spark plug, which I have yet to finish. The crankshaft is a single piece design. The flywheels were CNC machined from steel and powder coated before engraving. The hopper is a solid piece of aluminum. Most of the exterior contours of the hopper were CNC machined and then filed and finished by hand. You can see inside the hopper where I learned a lesson about plunging with long endmills. ;D Everything else was manually machined, including the gears. Since I made this I've worked as a professional machinist for 7 years, so it looks pretty rough to me now. I would love to build something bigger and better.

Very nice Layne. I have built 2 of Dick Upsher"s engines,the vertical single and the horizontal twin. I liked the simplicity of his plans. They both run quite well and I think they are a good place to start if you've never have built an IC engine before. I miss seeing and talking to Dick at the shows, another great one gone. I just wanted to compliment you on a job welldone and I look forward to seeing your next project. Dave

Hi Layne, Very nice looking engine! Its good to see pictures of another Upshur Engine. I think that the plans shown in a magazine around the year 2000 were of the horizontal water cooled 4-stroke. The complete farm engine 'plan set' is a compilation off all the updates and versions, including the optional hit-n-miss governor.

I don't see any weights on your flywheels. How does it hit-n-miss?

-MB

Metal Butcher said:
I don't see any weights on your flywheels. How does it hit-n-miss?

-MB

Look at the last picture, the governor is down below the connecting rod and is driven by a 3rd gear just below the cam gear. When the weights swing out, they push a pin through the center of that gear which pushes on an S shaped rod that latches into the pushrod. You can see the latching rod in the first and last picture. You can also see a spring down below the con-rod that passes through the frame plate to pull on the latching rod. There is an adjusting nut on the outside of the opposite frame plate. At that time I was mostly familiar with Fairbanks Morse engines, so I guess I just copied that style. Like I said, actual effectiveness has not been tested.

Latest posts

Back