Updated Compressed Air Radial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
In the previous video, the slave exhaust valves were sticking and the engine was only running on one or two cylinders. In this video, I've bored out the slave valve passages a couple of thousandths and installed stronger springs. The engine now runs a lot better and it makes more noise which is always welcome! I'm going to consider this engine finished.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_89lllEWVw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_89lllEWVw[/ame]

Chuck

That is one cool sounding radial. Really like the sound of that slow speed. Very good job Chuck.
Thm: Thm:
Ray

Very nice. I especially like the valve timing part that you added.

Jack

Nicely done! It's amazing that the sounds you get come not so much from exploding gasoline as it does from the valves and valve timing, and you really can't tell much of a difference from the sound alone.

Have you ever tried running it on CO2? You could pick up one of those refillable CO2 cannisters that the paintball gun guys use and make a cool portable stand. I'm not sure how long such a cylinder would last, but it'd be fun.

Nice one Chuck
She sounds great :bow:
Pete

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: way to go chuck :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

great looking and sounds excellent.................is there any chance that you will be posting the plans for this engine ?

chuck

I thought it sounded good the first time, now it sounds great!

Nice work Chuck!

Thanks, all, for the comments and kind words. I had kind of forgotten about this thread and I apologize for not answering folks sooner.

Swede said:
Nicely done! It's amazing that the sounds you get come not so much from exploding gasoline as it does from the valves and valve timing, and you really can't tell much of a difference from the sound alone.

Have you ever tried running it on CO2? You could pick up one of those refillable CO2 cannisters that the paintball gun guys use and make a cool portable stand. I'm not sure how long such a cylinder would last, but it'd be fun.

CO2 produces very high pressure, more than 800 PSI, so the amount of CO2 that's admitted for each "firing" stroke would have to be very small. To gain any advantage over compressed air, you'd have to keep a small amount fully compressed until it was released for "firing". Could be a tricky problem, but it would probably sound good.

chuck foster said:
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: way to go chuck :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

great looking and sounds excellent.................is there any chance that you will be posting the plans for this engine ?

chuck

Someday I would like to put together a collection of plans for many of my engines. Have to see how that goes.
dalem9 said:
Wonderful Chuck I really like the sound. How is it lubricated? Nice work Dale

I just squirt a couple of drops of oil into the air inlet connection once in a while. There is also a hole in the bottom of the crankcase so oil can be squired onto the connecting rod periodically. The crankshaft runs in ball bearings so lubrication isn't an issue.

WRT CO2, a regulator can be used to reduce the delivered pressure to something useable for running an engine. I have a 20# tank that I use for inflating tires for offroad use. I have also used the same tank to run nail guns and impact wrenches where my compressor was inconvenient. The only downside to using CO2 is that its expansion cools the hose, which can frost up. I've not tried it on an air engine, but see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Great engine! I am continually amazed at how many and what a variety of engines you have posted.

Man that does sound pretty cool!!! O-yea, nice looking work too.

Back