upcoming US visit

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minerva

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have just finalized our next extended trip to the US!
The wife and I are coming over the pond on the 26th. of April for a 9 week visit, primarily to be present at the graduation of my youngest Grand-daughter, as would you believe it - an ENGINEER . If I were to state how proud we are of her it would always fall short of how I personally feel. If this were not enough two weeks later she competes for the title of "Miss Virginia" so not only has she brains but the beauty to match!
The reason for the post however is to ask if anyone has knowledge of any events going on in the Winchester (VA) area up to the end of June? and It goes without saying I would just love to meet up with any members based within easy reach of Winchester for a chin-wag and a pint
Regards
terryT

Ps the one on the right is my daughter and the one one the left is the engineer!

PB280113.JPG

Terry
You're going to behere in the middle of the small local show season. Great places to get a feel for the local flavor and meet the real down home type people. This link might help you find a few to visit. http://www.smokstak.com/forum/calendar.php?month=5&year=2011&c=1&do=displaymonth

Even with what we consider outrageous gas prices, you'll probably find it very tempting to travel a few hours distance, especially after the fuel prices you've been paying. Travel is relatively cheap with the exchange rate being in your favor. That means maybe you don't want to be too quick to discount the shows in MD WV NC SC and possibly even Georgia.

Steve

I would say the Rough and Tumble Museum is a must. When they have their August meet, I spend all day there and can't see it all. Two places I also recommend is the Smithsonian and the Air and Space Museum. A jaunt on the Skyline Drive at that time of the year is great.

Definitely plan at least a full day for the Air and Space Museum in Washington,DC. Also the other museums in and around The Mall would/could warrant that amount of time, such as American History or National History etc. You could drive to the 'edge' of the metrpolitan area and park and take the METRO (tube) to all of the downtown sites, It is very clean and easy to navigate the area with. There is a great deal to see and the possibilities are endless. I do not know of any shows but I was in the area for a week and I still want to go back and visit all that I did not get to see at that time.

BC1
Jim

Hi all,
what a response :bow:
Many thanks Steve the calendar will certainly provide food for thought once I get my head around the State abbreviations . I think some browsing is in order!
Sadly Tin the one week-end that is taken up by the graduation celebrations is the 13th.to 15th of May so I will be unable to join you, however am I right in thinking that the museum is open on a daily basis? I also would find the Cornwall museum of interest coming from a foundry background.
As to the Space museum Lee are you referring to the one adjacent to Dulles int. airport? or does another exist in Washington DC as implied by Jim in his post? The Skyline drive is always a must when we visit only this time will be the first visit in the Spring, last year in Dec it was somewhat colder and the authorities closed the drive just as we were leaving. (see attached pic)
We hope to spend a week or so seeing the sights around Washington DC and as Jim notes you just can't see it all in a day or so.
Many thanks to you all for your input it is much appreciated
Regards
TerryT

PC120211.JPG

Hello Terry, regarding The Air & Space Museum in D.C., there is a campus located close by/at the Dulles airport. There are many planes on display there such as one of the SR-71 Blackbird 'spy planes'. There was no room available for such planes at the main building which is located next to the Smithsonian Institute downtown. I literally spent two full days from the minute the doors opened until they practically had to throw me out, exploring all of the exhibits and taking photographs. Then was forced to rush through some of the other museums and did not ever get out to the airport to view the planes on display there. :'( Other points of interest in that area include some of the old civil war sites if you are so interested in that sort of thing.

BC1
Jim

Might also want to checkout whether you could visit the Air & Space museum annex in Silver Hill Maryland. It some interresting displays of things they can't get to the main museum.

Sadly Tin the one week-end that is taken up by the graduation celebrations is the 13th.to 15th of May so I will be unable to join you, however am I right in thinking that the museum is open on a daily basis?
Sorry to hear that but I understand priories.I misses Two out of three of the R&T events last year due to family commitments.
To the best of my knowledge R& T does not have regular hours it is only open for special events events at that all buildings are not open for all events. Sorry. There are a couple of other events there while you are here blacksmith days and and the International harvester tractor show. not as much to see as SSU but you can see some stuff at least.
Another venue of interest would be the B & O railroad museum in Baltimore Maryland about a 2 hour drive from Winchester.
http://www.borail.org/
As far as the Smithsonian IIRC there are some steam engines and models on display in the basement of the American history museum. there is also the museum of art and indusry but it is currently closed for rnovation . May be open in time for your visit??
There is lots of stuff to see within a 4 hour drive of Winchester tell us what you want to see and will help direct. I do not to just pile info on.
Tin

Latest posts

Back