• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Unknown Casting Kit

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NRHangar

Reaction score
This is from my father's shop, the box is not label, I did find another box that has Case Tractor written on it and a set of wheels that he had completed. If someone identifies the kit and is willing to share the information that would be great. I have no idea of value, buyer pays shipping.

Attachments

• 20210102_161430.jpg
    20210102_161430.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 580
  • 20210102_161437.jpg
    20210102_161437.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 576
  • 20210102_161440.jpg
    20210102_161440.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 538
  • 20210102_161443.jpg
    20210102_161443.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 514
  • 20210102_161446.jpg
    20210102_161446.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 515
  • 20210102_161449.jpg
    20210102_161449.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 507
  • 20210102_161449.jpg
    20210102_161449.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 493
  • 20210102_161458.jpg
    20210102_161458.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 479
This is from my father's shop, the box is not label, I did find another box that has Case Tractor written on it and a set of wheels that he had completed. If someone identifies the kit and is willing to share the information that would be great. I have no idea of value, buyer pays shipping.
My guess from looking in the Cole's Catalogue that this is the Cole's casting set for the 1" scale Case Traction Engine. Since Cole's are out of business, it is difficult to say what the set would be worth. If you have the plans as well as the casting set, there is sure to be someone out there who might want it. You could advertise it here, or on the Chaski site, ebay of course, or Discover Live Steam.

Thank you again, for helping with a response, I will research that more, I saw some drawing for a Case tractor, or copies than blue prints, but I will dig into my father's files deeper and research the Cole information more. Also thanks for the other sites to look into, I am not a big ebay fan wanted to target people that live the hobby, my father loved to work in metal, I am a woodworker.

I'm not very familiar with Cole ... but one person that might provide some guidance on where to sell and what it might be worth is Keith Appleton ... he's a UK live steam modeler that has provided a series of fabulous videos on all things, model steam engineering. His site is Mainsteam Models | Live Steam Engines | Model Engineering Tutorials and if you google him on YouTube you'll find a huge collection of his tutorial videos. He has a big following and could probably a few user groups that might be very interested in your castings.

I'm not very familiar with Cole ... but one person that might provide some guidance on where to sell and what it might be worth is Keith Appleton ... he's a UK live steam modeler that has provided a series of fabulous videos on all things, model steam engineering. His site is Mainsteam Models | Live Steam Engines | Model Engineering Tutorials and if you google him on YouTube you'll find a huge collection of his tutorial videos. He has a big following and could probably a few user groups that might be very interested in your castings.
Thanks for the lead, I will look research Keith today. While I am not a builder, I find these projects amazing!

Your photos indeed looks like the Case Traction Engine as jkimberin said, you could check the cylinder bore it was 7/8" with a 15/16" stroke and rear wheels were 6"dia. do you have all the castings and the boiler parts.?

Last edited:
Hi Packrat, thanks for the information, I will measure those items and confirm, but I am 99% that it Cole 1" Case tractor kit. I found the drawings that he was working off of, they are copies of copies but he seemed to be making due with them. I am going to post pictures of the wheels that he had completed, they do have some surface rust that will need to be cleaned up. There are also drive gears there too, I think 3 sets because on one visit I thought I saw 3 sets of wheels, but two are gone now. They also have rust on them so I am not sure how desirable those will be. I think all the casting are there in the pictures, is the boiler the think walled brass or copper part? Thanks Bart

Quote " is the boiler the think walled brass or copper part? Thanks Bart "

Yes, if it is a copper tube about 3" in diameter with flanged plates. Oh and most of your photos are of the steam engine parts.

Just for info, Coles Power Models was a real giant in the model engineering hobby in the U.S.
Betty Cole eventually sold the business off, and the new owners husband died, and she wound up selling the business to someone, who was supposed to pay for the business out of profits, but never paid her. A lot of the patterns and drawings were lost, and the business was basically run into the ground. It is no longer operating. I talked to the widow of the post-Coles owner, and she was rather bitter about the entire affair.

I have known the current owner of Coles for many years and reached out to him this morning to update your information. He said:

The people before us that were in the movie business are the ones that were foreclosed on. My dad bought it from Betty outright and ran till we lost the foundry
Sounds like the post was from the survivors of the movie guys. My dad supplied parts as a builder to Betty for many years prior to the sale.
Ken

I used to visit the "factory" in Warren, Tx before it finally closed down. I even spent some time on one of those lathes as a volunteer making parts. I've attached a photo I took in 2007.
Coles shop-area-from-balcony.jpg

So what has happened to Cole's? Has it been sold off? Will I eventually be able to finish my 1" case traction engine? Which by the way the start of this unknown casting kit, it's not a case engine. Look at the engine frame. I would say it's from the "popcorn engine" that they use to sell. I believe they had two different sizes.

Latest posts

Back