universal cutter grinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent info everyone, thanks. I also signed into the Quorn group on yahoo, there is some good info there including the mini Bonelle.

If you have enogh material and perfect drawing,you can make a cutter grinder.

I see this an old thread but if your still looking Petertha here is a grinder I built. I needed to get exact angles on a cutter to cut racks on the shaper. Will probably built a holder for end mills and drill bits someday but for now its quick to get great results on lathe and shaper cutters.

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

All one needs is the ability to multiply the diameter of the wheel in inches by 0.0088" by the degrees to be ground and pack up your flat rests on your Double ended grinder- and that's about it.

Professor Dennis Chaddock, designer of the Quorn tool and cutter grinder gives a chart which is essentially identical.
Err, uhmm?

I see this an old thread but if your still looking Petertha here is a grinder I built....

Wow. That is very impressive, thanks for sharing. I don't suppose you snapped some in-between build pics of the innards or scribbled out any construction plans huh?:D I'm interested to know details about the 'business end' or spindle assembly that holds the grinder wheel, bearings used etc.

I'm glad you posted for a second reason. Your username twigged my memory that I stumbled on a nice looking lathe style tool post grinder (post 3 pic). Can you elaborate if it was a home shop made spindle or an aftermarket sourced accessory?

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist...-post-grinder-who-uses-them-18538/#post191594

The spindle was salvaged from a very old ice skate sharpener. Thought it would save some fabricating, would have been easier to start from scratch. It originally had tapered roller bearings, which cleaned up and looked good but ran horribly rough. Ended up a 6203 ball bearing was a direct fit replacement. I shrunk a flange on the spindle, then machined the assembly to mount the wheels.
IMG_0352.jpg

The end thread allows me to use 1 1/4 bore cup wheels and the large flange works for bolt on metal backed wheels and diamond surfaced ones.

It uses a dc motor salvaged from a tread mill with a small serpentine type belt drive to the spindle. The dc motor powered by an old school variable transformer gives me 3400 rpm for the aluminum oxide wheels and 5400 for the diamond ones.

The work head was fabricated from some 3 inch cast iron rod I found some where. The cutting angle and clearance angles can be set to 1 deg directly from the verniers and to 1/2 deg by interpolation.

IMG_0331.jpg

The work head rides on a 1 1/4 shaft that rotates on cast iron bushings and slides in and out to set your depth of cut. The assembly on the end of the shaft controls the in and out motion with a 20 tpi collar that rotates on the shaft so that the shaft rotation doesn't affect the depth of cut.

IMG_0386.jpg

Some working drawings were made, more of an assembly drawing I guess but its a big file in dxf format so not sure how to post it.
Hope this helps.
Oh the tool post grinder is an old Dunmore. Worn but it gets the job done.

Greg

Latest posts

Back