Uniflow design theory

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Windy, yes, that's what "ignited my interest"!
Richard , it was probably one of paraffin, one of water, and one of vodka, to steady the nerves!
K2
It was disguised Guinness the stronger alcohol with up to 80% Nitro was used in my motorcycle them old Triumph engines took a lot of hammer.
If this virus lockdown eases there are many speed and record attempts at Elvington this year a photo of a record attempt Triumph based bike I laid on at Elvington a couple of years ago.
Not much original, home made crankshaft, barrels and much more the previous version was on a TV program about UK record attempts at Bonneville

Attachments

• 2019_071616July1019Elvington0005.JPG
    2019_071616July1019Elvington0005.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 0009.JPG
    0009.JPG
    436.3 KB · Views: 113
It was disguised Guinness the stronger alcohol with up to 80% Nitro was used in my motorcycle them old Triumph engines took a lot of hammer.
If this virus lockdown eases there are many speed and record attempts at Elvington this year a photo of a record attempt Triumph based bike I laid on at Elvington a couple of years ago.
Not much original, home made crankshaft, barrels and much more the previous version was on a TV program about UK record attempts at Bonneville
Just out of curiosity, as I know nothing about racing or speed record breaking machines, Would it not actually reduce air friction if there were a fairing about the front and side of the motorcycle, sort of like the sides of a fish? Would also protect a bit if you spilled.

Richard
You are correct about fairings or full streamlining I do not know if that machine will have one on.
There are so many different record classes apart from capacity,
To list a few naked, part streamline, full streamline, petrol, methanol, nitro, supercharged with combinations of fuel there are so many variations.
My 1974 built machine would do 190mph plus with no fairing it was run like that because of high side winds.
With a fairing estimated terminal speed was 215mph average 207.9mph.
A couple of pictures one naked at 190+ wind sock horizontal across the course and what happens when things go wrong.

Attachments

• 1500cc Record attempt at Elvington 12 Oct 1974.JPG
    1500cc Record attempt at Elvington 12 Oct 1974.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 112
  • CRASH bit.jpg
    CRASH bit.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 115
Richard
You are correct about fairings or full streamlining I do not know if that machine will have one on.
There are so many different record classes apart from capacity,
To list a few naked, part streamline, full streamline, petrol, methanol, nitro, supercharged with combinations of fuel there are so many variations.
My 1974 built machine would do 190mph plus with no fairing it was run like that because of high side winds.
With a fairing estimated terminal speed was 215mph average 207.9mph.
A couple of pictures one naked at 190+ wind sock horizontal across the course and what happens when things go wrong.
Whoa, If I get up to 90 I'm soiling myself!

Had a few delays with health issues but still experimenting with full size flash steamer had a few problems with steam generator burners but sorted them.
Generator is 12 inches diameter and would not self ignite when hot the exhaust outlet was too large cooling it down.
Restricted exhaust outlet and seems fine am only using a small hand pump for initial tests the liquid on bottom burner is a drop of high temperature oil from a connection I lubricated.
New exhaust similar to my proven model design now being made.

Attachments

• Ignition.mp4
    17.4 MB
Had a few delays with health issues but still experimenting with full size flash steamer had a few problems with steam generator burners but sorted them.
Generator is 12 inches diameter and would not self ignite when hot the exhaust outlet was too large cooling it down.
Restricted exhaust outlet and seems fine am only using a small hand pump for initial tests the liquid on bottom burner is a drop of high temperature oil from a connection I lubricated.
New exhaust similar to my proven model design now being made.
Hi Windy, Nice work! Could you show me what your spot welder looks like. 👍

Back