Unfortunate incident at home today

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
We're about 2/3 done having wood floors installed in our house by two 30-somethings that are doing the work. About mid-day today the lead guy came running into the house holding his hands together yelling "Hospital, Hospital". He was cross cutting a plank freehand on a tablesaw at about a 45 degree angle. I think his hand slipped and went right into the blade, cutting the pad of his thumb pretty badly. I hate seeing people hurt themselves but to make matters worse he has a family with 4 kids and will no doubt be out of work for a while.

Chuck

I was watching Orange County Chopper one time, and one the guys wore gloves while he did machine work (big mistake).
The glove got caught in the drill press, and before he could turn it off, it cut through the glove, and deeply into his hand.

They took him to the doctor, who sewed him back together, and the doctor said "Now go home and take a few days off, and take it easy".

Paul Sr. (the Owner) said "Screw that, get back to work right now, we need to get that bike done".

If that wood floor guy has a family, then he will be back at work tomorrow.

I don't like to see anyone get hurt and it is the dumb mistakes we make that cost us time. I have been guilty of doing dumb things myself.

Chuck I see you are having wood floors installed. I had wood floors in my house that my brother and myself installed. It was a beautiful looking floor. One morning I was walking to the back room and stepped into some water. I told the wife the dog had spotted to floor. She cleaned it and I walked a little further and felt more water. Then looking at the floor it was all warped and looking very wet and ruined.
We called the insurance co. and Servpro showed up to remove the water. My back toilet had overflowed that night and created a mess. Three quarters of my house had ruined floors. The insurance company gave us $10000 for the mess. I stripped my house of all wood floors and put in cermatic tile through the whole house costing me $17000 to install. After seeing how my hard work had been ruined so easy and overnight I told my wife never again.

Don

:( I'd rate table saws second only to chainsaws in the 'dangerous buggers' list - gotta keep your wits about you all the time.

That injury happened to an experienced craftsman.

Tomorrow I will begin training a young man who has absolutely no machine tool experience
to operate one of the production turret lathes at work.

We'll see how it goes.
If I don't feel comfortable with his ability to understand the machine, it is NOT HAPPENING!

I've seen experienced machinists get hurt doing stupid things.
I certainly don't want to see someone trying to earn a paycheck get hurt because they just
didn't know any better.

Rick

Table saws and chain saws are definitely on the most dangerous list but the tool that always gave me the most chills was a radial arm saw. When I was in the Army I worked in a maintenance shop and due to my artistic talents the sergeant had me paint a hand with 2 chopped off fingers right across the blade path on the table. At least it would get your attention every time you turned it on.
gbritnell

I can relate to that one George! I had a 2HP 10" Craftsman from the late 60's ,,,in mint condition still in the packaging with all the attachments. I ran it 3 times.....and sold it!

Scared the hell out of me....funny thing is my best friend bought it and loved it!...though I admonished him that the condition of sale be that he could NEVER EVER get hurt on it! :big:

Dave

gbritnell said:
Table saws and chain saws are definitely on the most dangerous list but the tool that always gave me the most chills was a radial arm saw. When I was in the Army I worked in a maintenance shop and due to my artistic talents the sergeant had me paint a hand with 2 chopped off fingers right across the blade path on the table. At least it would get your attention every time you turned it on.
gbritnell

Gotta agree with George, the radial saw has the potential to wreak a lot of havoc with flesh and bone. Fortunately, radial arm saws have lost favor since mitre saws have gained popularity. I owned a radial arm as my primary saw for many years, unfortunately back in my drinking days, and I have to say I had a few close calls but never a single injury. Whenever I did have an incident that made the hair on my neck stand up, I would quietly turn off the saw, turn out the lights and go in the house for the rest of the day. Maybe that's what saved my bacon!

Chuck

In my experience, the jointer is the one to get you. My dad was a professional woodworker, and he had 8-1/2 fingers. The jointer got the others.
I am very careful in my shop, but occasionally make whoppers of mistakes. Been lucky so far. I admit the tablesaw scares me.

""If that wood floor guy has a family, then he will be back at work tomorrow.""

And he can sue the Saw Co. and get a Million $.
Like some guy did , doing the same thing also installing a floor.
See the Saw Stop court decision. Blame the Saw Co. for not protecting him
Hilmar

tel said:
:( I'd rate table saws second only to chainsaws in the 'dangerous buggers' list - gotta keep your wits about you all the time.

I gotta add 9" angle grinders to the above. They really give me the heebee geebees.

Best Regards
Bob

Oh yes, them as well!

My relationship with a table saw has grown from shear terror to one of healthy respect. I built my boat with one so we got to spend quite a bit of time together! Still did some dumb things but I got away with it......
I did more damage to myself with the pistol drill!

Experience....it's the result of surviving all of your mistakes! ::)

Dave

Latest posts

Back