Tyre pressure inflating gauge

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modeng2000

Reaction score
This device seems to have a problem with the air control valve. The pressure gauge reading creeps up from zero to the inlet pressure when not being used to inflate a tyre.
I suspect the control valve is not as it should be. I am reluctant to dismantle to investigate as I don't know how it has been designed to work. Any information about the internals would be appreciated.

John

2QA=

IMG_20180309_095307.jpg

It does sound like the valve is leaking. The only way to find out if you can do something about it is to take it apart.

I am just guessing, based on the picture, but this may be an inexpensive unit to begin with: Inexpensive air devices are more or less designed to be disposable and if they are used in a shop with a large compressor leaks are just tolerated. It seems that from the old-school corner gas stations up to service shops (and including my garage) you go by the compressor or an end of a tire-inflation line and hear air escaping someplace.

That said, it annoys me and I periodically take things like blow guns and tire chucks and airline fittings apart for cleaning, tightening and whatever. Still, they eventually start leaking again.

For my portable air tank, it has a valve to close the air outlet connection: I religiously turn off the valve to keep air in the tank.

By the way, for tire inflation the cheap guages may not be that accurate. I periodically check all of mine and have periodically replaced the ones I use most often.

--ShopShoe

+1 on the comments from Shopshoe but to me this looks like a more expensive industrial air filler and if you can find a manufacturer's name on it parts may be available. However, buy another one anyway as the market is saturated with inexpensive versions. Back up is a good thing.

Worst case if the control valve cannot be fixed and the slight leak bothers you, at least save the hose and gauge to make a tire pressure tester. The long reach makes it look like a truck duty tool, to me.

The guys on this site would enjoy guiding you to make parts if the tool is to be restored. You may need a lathe and mill.

Many thanks for the input folks, I guess I don't have much option but to take it apart catching any springs as I go!
There are no identifying marks.

I just don't like throwing things away without good reason.
I'll let you know what happens.

John

Good news, having dismantled the valve controlled by the leaver I found a damaged seal in the form of a blank washer.
Now replaced and all seems to be well.

Thanks for the encouragement.

John

Last edited:
Congratulations modeng2000,

I think it is safe to say that most of the people here take the approach of trying to solve problems by taking things apart and investigating.

I heard long ago a farmer's repair process:

Step 1. Take it apart.

Step 2. Find out what's wrong.

Step 3. Fix It.

:thumbup:

--ShopShoe

...I heard long ago a farmer's repair process:

Step 1. Take it apart.

Step 2. Find out what's wrong.

Step 3. Fix It.

--ShopShoe

My approach:

Step 1: Take it apart.

Step 2: Realize you don't know what you're doing.

Step 3: Realize you broke something else taking by it apart.

Step 4: Fail to put it back together.

Step 5: File 13.

I include a Step 4. If you can't fix it at least save the wheels.

Back