Two 'Wobbler's' for presents!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thank you for all your kind comments. I am going to try the air pump route for power. If it works it will be cheaper than buying the air canisters!

I will post a picture of them both running when I have the power source sorted..........but once again thanks for the supportive feedback, it means a lot when working alone.

Mike,

Engines look ace, bases too, even if not wood ;D

I have suggested this before as an idea but never actually tried it, a pressurised car inner tube could provide some motive power, want more pressure, sit on the tube. Recharge the tube from a cigarette lighter compressor which will also pump up your car tyres, which an aquarium pump wont!

Just an idea!

Al

Well I remember typing a reply but it seems to have gone "walkabout" ::) ........... Tel or Jack will probably find it under a bush somewhere in a few days time :wall:

Anyway Mike ......... nice work mate ;D ........... don't worry about the "wood" thing, you've plenty of time to get to grips with that stuff, it's not too hard really and can produce some good results, however the aluminium looks great ............. nice result, 2 very lucky folks this Christmas.

CC

Nice Pair....nice flywheels... :bow: :bow: :bow:
Cheers
Paolo

You are all too kind. I have bought (cheap) off ebay an aquarium pump but it doesn't have enough umph (just) so I am trying another more powerful type. I will let you know how I get on......

Metal Mickey said:
You are all too kind. I have bought (cheap) off ebay an aquarium pump but it doesn't have enough umph (just) so I am trying another more powerful type. I will let you know how I get on......

Have you tried slacking off a bit on the springs to reduce the friction?

Hello mklotz, yes I have. I 'tinkered' with them for quite a while and did get them running on less air form my compressor but I think I have gone as far as I can which did result in the wobbler's nearly running on the air pump. There is another pump by the same firm which puts out 3 times the volume of air but the price is more than what I would like to pay times 2 for pressy's. I am going to try a 12v car tyre pump which is £8 including postage so I will give that a try next.

I will let you know how I get on and thanks once again for the interest.

Mike, they are fantastic, I may just have to copy your idea and make one for my son! He's not even 3 yet but he is always wanting to play with an oscillator that I made!

How did you bling them? They look great!

I am also useless with wood by the way!

Nick

Hello NickG, many thanks for your kind words. I use buffing wheels with the hard sticks or paste you get. I keep three wheels. One to put the polishing paste on, a second to take off and the third to polish up for the final polish. That's it really....

What is it with wood? Carpenters don't like metal, metal benders don't like wood, until mother nature pulls a person out who likes both, but that is in the minority....and not me....... :big:

Metal Mickey said:
What is it with wood? Carpenters don't like metal, metal benders don't like wood, until mother nature pulls a person out who likes both, but that is in the minority....and not me....... :big:

I think, for me, it's when I get that 2x4 that has a little warp to it that makes me want to get out my fly cutter and flatten it out ;D

my dad loves both wood and metal....................you should see his metal working lathe, it is covered with saw dust and the last wood working project he did has metal filings in the varnish :eek: :p

but i guess when you are retired you just don't care............well not as much ::)

chuck

chuck foster said:
but i guess when you are retired you just don't care............well not as much ::)

Chuck :eek: ................. if I were you I'd duck ;)

CC

Metal Mickey said:

I gotta say, I love working with wood as much as like metal. Unfortunately, I know more about metal than I do wood. OFC, I like working with composites as well... such as FG and CF. I love the look of a nice piece of wood and brass together.

Maybe there is something wrong with me...
headbang.gif

Eric

I really like your project and especially the finish.

I have been building stuff since I was 12. Got to the point where I could build anything I wanted out of wood so had to start on metal. They both have their fun side but for now I am having a ball making swarf instead of sawdust.

Speaking of retiring. I will be doing so in a 3 weeks. Lots of time to play in the shop then. Mind you the Honey-Do list has been changed to the "After you retire" list and seems to be getting very long and elaborate. Oh Well, she cant keep a close eye on me all the time.

Chuck,

The best thing about getting old, is you know it will happen to everyone else who lives that long
laugh2.gif

Best Regards
Bob ;D

The engines look great! Vid coming?

I have tried running my 3 sisters engine with an aquarium pump. I adjusted everything to run as slow as possible with the A-C but it wouldnt go. Has anyone had any success? Those pumps have plenty of pressure to get air to depth, but not enough volume (cfm). I think.

My Dad is a master wood turner and loves using his metal lathe to make tooling. I am glad to be skilled enough to help him out with the metal side of things after all he has given and done for me, :bow:

kustomkb said:

I have tried running my 3 sisters engine with an aquarium pump. I adjusted everything to run as slow as possible with the A-C but it wouldnt go. Has anyone had any success? Those pumps have plenty of pressure to get air to depth, but not enough volume (cfm). I think.

I actually got a small wobbler to run off of a aquarium pump.

Eric

I actually got a small wobbler to run off of a aquarium pump.

It has been done!! Now were going to have a build thread on souping up aquarium pumps!

-Kevin.

I haven't used one to pressurize anything, but about 10 years ago I used two cheapies from Wally World to make vacuum pumps for a fiberglass project. Got 11 inches of vacuum out of them and a decent finish on the fiberglass. I thought that was pretty good for $20 worth of cheap parts.

Have you tried running them off a bicycle pump? It would give the recipriant something to do while watching the engine.
Regards,
Gerald

Back