Two 'Wobbler's' for presents!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Ralph,

Yes I am going for shiny. I did try to do the whirly thingy (see photo below) but even though I tries different materials to make the swirls, I didn't see any thing I liked. It may be because they are so small an engine? I will have a go at the effect but not for these wobbler's.

I also finished the second engine to working stage and used it to trial the air supply that will allow the recipients to have the engines on their desks (if that is what they want!) and allow them to work. I don't know how long a cylinder of air will last but running the second engine it didn't seem to take a lot...and that should be even more efficient when the supply is correctly connected.

I spent the session sorting the second engine and giving a first polish up on the first engine (see photo below)

I have put a short video below of the second engine and you can see the control available (which I was pleased with) and there is a photo at the bottom after its first polish. There will be a final polish later. I was surprised at the efficiency of the small ultrasonic cleaner (photo below)and the amount of dirt that came from a relatively clean set of parts.

Finally I have decided on the base for the engines(photo below). I was hoping to have some sort of cover for the air cylinder but the only cylinders I could purchase in my area are very very long! SO I have changed my mind and they can store the cylinders wherever and bring them out when they want to see the little engines run.......

First the photo's...

wobbler3113008avideo001.jpg

wobbler3113008avideo004.jpg

wobbler3113008avideo005.jpg

wobbler3113008avideo008.jpg

The base will come from the items in this photo. I hope to turn the mahogany to fit inside the brass, somewhat like a wheel (the wood) and a tyre (the brass). I will see how they turn out before making a final decision.

wobbler3113008avideo011.jpg

And finally the Video, remember it is only showing the variability of control from the air cylinder supply....

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SKSQsIzS1-o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SKSQsIzS1-o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Mike, they are just great and whoever receives them should count themselves very lucky, how many people get "hand made" presents and dam fine one's to boot ;)

Tiny lil' things aren't they but they sure run well 8) ............ well done sir :bow:

as for the Mahogany in the Brass ring, the only problem I can foresee is the thermal movement of the mahogany , I'd be tempted to make sure the wood is very dry and a close fit in the Brass ring, if it absorbs moisture and expands a bit the ring will probably hold it, the other option of having it initially with a higher moisture content could probably allow it to work loose in an office environment

just my 2c worth mind ::)

CC

Looking good Mike, Mighty fine that there polishing job ;)

As CC said nice little runners too ;D

The Engine turning is a bit of an interesting art form!!! The thing you appear to be using is a polishing mop... The items you may have seen elsewhere are abrasive rubber type polishers, they require wd40 derivative and a lot of cleaning inbetweem turnings... It really is an art form to get the patterns correct!

You can also use a pencil rubber (it works... Check out Bernd's wobblers) or apparently a wooden dowel and a but of grinding/lapping abrasive... I have not tried these ones but others have with pretty nice results ;D

Looking forward to seeing the bases, a nice idea of the wood and brass... Just a thought to add to CC's...

If you step the centre of the brass and then shape the outer of the wood to sit on an internal lip (I hope this makes sense... Crap o cad can be provided if required!!) The basic idea is that the engine bases wood could not slip out downward if there were any reduction in size due to drying... It wouldn't even need to be a big lip!

As CC Kinda said, just my 2pence worth ;)

Ralph.

Hey Mike,
That's a nice little runner! I can't believe how slow it'll run!

Great job.

thanks for all the supportive comments and helpful ideas. Especially Ralph's and I have adopted that idea with the wood also 'resting' on the brass. Wood is such a messy job! I can make a mess with metal but wood, that's a whole new ballgame! I started a new thread about finish on the mahogany and was surprised at a super glue solution. I roughed out the shape of the wood with my jigsaw before trimming on my Proxxon bandsaw. Turning wood though messy is certainly fun and I am glad I wore a dust mask.....

Anyway the pictures tell a better story than I so here they are:-

wobblersandbases4112008016.jpg

wobblersandbases4112008017.jpg

wobblersandbases4112008015.jpg

I needed to get some idea of the height of the base so put one of the wobbler's on to get an idea......

wobblersandbases4112008014.jpg

Don't take too much notice of the finish, its only a first polish.............

Divided head, I tried a few different materials including wood dowel and diamond past but I think I need a lot more practice and different sizes and patterns....I think that its an area I would like to investigate, but later. I think Bogstandard did a post on how to do this. I think my items are a little on the small side though..........

Metal Mickey said:
Don't take too much notice of the finish, its only a first polish.............

You have got to be kidding! For a "first polish', I say it looks great! Whom ever is getting these gifts is truly getting a masterpiece!
PM me if you need my address. :big: ;D ;)

Well I'm glad some of my ramblings made sense Mike ;D The ET is definately an art form! (Boggie's post is a very good place to start ;) )

Looking good too!

I really think these will be very special when finished :)

WE, nice try :big:

Ralph.

Those are going to be great gifts. I believe some that will be passed down in the family. Lucky people will be getting those.

Eric

Ignore the finish on the wood bases (between coats of varnish and put on just to show the engines....) I am dissatisfied with the wood (another link re 'orrible stuff post) so I will make aluminum inserts for the engines to sit on and surrounded by the brass base rings.

However, other than the aluminium insert bases, the engines are now complete. Both run very well but I am a little confused and concerned with the propellant method. I have two very large airbrush propellant canisters and one of them works well. The other though doesn't!

At first I thought it was the engine that didn't perform as well but changing over engines and propellant found it was one canister that didn't produce enough pressure.

Using the workshop airline they work nicely with little pressure but I can't see a large compressor on their desks! I have thought about trying to make a pressure vessel myself but this seems fraught with problems and dangers, so I wondered about small compressors to blow up tyres or those to inflate air beds.......anyone with any ideas?

Anyway here is the latest picture:

wobbler9-11-2008nearlyfin006.jpg

Two thoughts...

Try an aquarium air pump. They're quiet and unobtrusive but may not supply enough volume for running at high speed.

I use an airbrush compressor for demonstrating a single engine. Very quiet and works a treat though it may be a bit large for your application.

They could try pressurising a soda bottle from a bike or foot pump - The 2 ltr bottles used for water rockets will easily hold 80 PSI+

If that is a bit mechanical for a desk job - a hidden electric motor for demo purposes only of course.

anybody in your area tossing a dorm sizes refrigerator that and and old fire extinguisher bottle . Could be done but all the add ons get costly.
Tin

Well they are finished (subject to a final polish before packing up as gifts!). I made the right decision regarding the wood I am sure. The aluminum took far less time to make than trying to get the wood right! I am now certain that metal, and not wood is the medium for me!

Well here are a couple of pictures of making the base inserts and then the wobbler's themselves.....I didn't have any round bar left for the inserts so.......

finalwobblerpics10112008001.jpg

finalwobblerpics10112008002.jpg

finalwobblerpics10112008003.jpg

finalwobblerpics10112008015.jpg

finalwobblerpics10112008011.jpg

finalwobblerpics10112008018.jpg

Well they are nice runners that can run at really slow speeds. I just have to sort out a supply for them now.........

Who ever the recipients are for those little engines should be very thrilled! You have done an outstanding job on them both!! :bow: :bow:

Those came out very nice. Definitely heirloom gifts!

Give a thought to an aquarium pump for the air supply. You can get them cheap and they work well on engines not requiring a lot of psi to run.

Eric

Mike, Definately One for each little work of art :bow: :bow:

I know what you mean about wood.... It holds many mysterys for me too! Where as metal... Now, we can get some pretty nice shapes out of that ;D

You'll have to tell us how the recipients faces looked when they've had their gifts too.

Always a pleasure to see nicely crafted barstock engines ;D

Ralph.

Metal Mickey

Definitely a pair of fine looking engines that you have there. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed receiving one of those to put on their desk. Job extremely well done.

cheers :bow:

Don

Perhaps MM should read Magnificent Mickey
1034522319.gif
1034522319.gif

They are indeed beautiful.

Best Regards
Bob

You can't even classify that as craftsmanship...

It's ARTISTRY!

Beautiful work Mickey! :bow:

Rick

Latest posts

Back