Two 'Wobbler's' for presents!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Mickey

Reaction score
You may call me a cheapskate but whilst I was away from home I thought that a simple wobbler type engine would make a nice Christmas present. Since I was making one it would be just as easy to make two!

The plans for this particular engine come from Model Engine Builder (issue 1) and are simple to make. I thought they would be nice to be seen running and I intend to try and run them using a regulated supply from air brush type cylinders hidden some way on a base (perhaps a brass cylinder?). Anyway a picture is better that a thousand of my words so below is the progress made so far.

1. Some 'scrap' brass that will form the outside of the flywheels

wobblerengines005.jpg

2. Aluminium for the inside of the flywheels
wobblerengines007.jpg

3. Making the two flywheels as one piece....
wobblerengines011.jpg

4. Marking out one of the pillars....
wobblerengines013.jpg

5. Drilling both pillars at the same time is not much more effort than one........
wobblerengines021.jpg

More tomorrow......(I hope...)

Nothing cheap about giving a homemade gift as a present. In fact, I am doing so myself. A small aquarium pump in the base may be enough to run it.

Eric

Mickey you may be saving cash by making the engines as gifts but you are not being cheap. Several years ago things were a bit tight financially. I Had come across a pair of brass candlestick castings and spend Christmas eves day turning them on the lathe for the wife. She loves them. and I doubt one could find a much finer set of brass candle stick made in this day and age most commercial ones are cnc machines or cast then put together in pieces.
Looks like someone will be getting a fine Christmas gift.
Tin

Hello All: This is a good subject, it makes people understand a little more what and why we play in our shops. I have made things for SWMBO mostly out of wood, but sometimes over the years fabricated a few things from metal to fix neighbors tools or toys. It is very satisfying to be able to help someone and for me more fun to have them there while doing simple projects for them. That way I can get their ideas and requirements along with some company. Received some good fresh Salmon in return a few times from the neighbor. In my neighborhood I know of only one other household within a 4 block radius that has a lathe ( building a couple of steam locomotives). I go over there and drool on the Bridgeport and Atlas Shaper when I see the garage open.
My Son and I built 4 oscillating engines from Rudy Kouhoupt plans (1969) in the mid 90's and gave 3 of them away as Christmas presents, to my Dad, Father in Law and a Uncle.
S3500005-1.jpg

They were well received and I got Dad's back when he passed away 7 years back, makes it even more precious.
[youtube=425,350]RNHppO158b4[/youtube]
don

There's a little of each of us in every thing we make, model, boat, plane, cupboards etc. To give these to someone is to give that little bit of yourself, which is really special, to someone whom you must think is special or you wouldn't take the time and effort to do it. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Like Bob said!

well done mate

cheers to you and yours

jack

Giving something like this is far from cheap! Yes, the materials may be free or very inexpensive, but the time and craftsmanship put into a gift such as this is well beyond what money an buy. I think it is a very generous gift.

I have two nephews that are getting to the age that they appreciate mechanical things. I have thought of building a pair of beam engines for them, and likely will build them something for Christmas 2009. Too many irons in the fire to pull it off this year. :(

Thanks for all the support saying I am not a cheapskate after all.....I suppose I haven't placed a lot of value in the work done so far.......a bye product of being a novice I suppose....

Well here are a few more photo's of progress to date.......

Here are the two cylinders machined and drilled, prior to 'tarting up'.....

wobbler291008001.jpg

Fixture made to secure flywheels for finishing......

wobbler291008006.jpg

Two flywheels part finished. Next task will be to drill holes at 60 deg (= 6) then their collars drilled, tapped and polished.

wobbler291008010.jpg

Main parts being trial fitting......

wobbler291008013.jpg

Hope to post a video of them running soon. They need to be finished so I can get back to the cams for team build 3, then the Fowler traction engine, before continuing with the refurbishment of the Myford ML7, then the workshop tools to be made (including a die holder for the MT2 tailstocks) before.......well you get the picture...........

Thanks Eric,

Only had an hour or so today and spent a frustrating time in setting up to mill the flywheel holes, but I will make that a separate post.....so here are a couple of additional photo's.......

Trying to decide on a pattern to cut.......
wobbler30102008018.jpg

Part way through milling........
wobbler30102008025.jpg

decided that this was the way to go though.......It hasn't been polished or finished yet but all machining is now done on the flywheel (well one at least!)..
wobbler30102008027.jpg

I know I'm a bit late posting this Mike but... Cheap!!! You got to be kiddin... The man hours alone for a limited edition masterpiece of engineering.... The recipients should count them selves very lucky indeed... I know the recipients of the now 18 torches I have made have generally been very pleased with them.... Most haven't lost them yet! That's over a year!!!

I would also like to say.... Nice flywheels. I like two tone, it makes the whole thing look like it was crafted with a lot of thought.
IMHO flywheel design should never be underestimated.

Nice work Mike, I look forward to the rest :)

Ralph.

Divided He ad said:
........ I know the recipients of the now 18 torches I have made have generally been very pleased with them.... Most haven't lost them yet! That's over a year!!! ......

Ralph.

Your very kind Ralph. And you have raised my interest with your torches comment. I would like to know more as it sounds like a great idea! Is it something like a mag-lite torch? I would like to see one if you have any pictures.....

Mike

Well today went well except for the time spent in the workshop.......here are a couple of photo's to show the progress so far...

wobbler31102008004.jpg

and if you wanted to know the reason for microwave curries then here it is.........

wobbler31102008008.jpg

more to follow.................

Hi Mike, in answer to the question... Erm no... The only thing related to a maglite us the fact they give off light! These are little monkeys for keyring use ;D

I went for a search and found one of the previous posts that was not really much bothered about ?! Oh well some people like them ;)
They are pretty simple but still take a couple of hours each
(I do like to make sure they are pretty much perfect before I give them to anyone!)

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=1640.msg12389#msg12389

Those curry trays look well used Mike!!
I'm assuming you are just using them to keep the parts together and not planning on heating up the parts for lunch :big:

Ralph.

How did you make the flywheels? Did you shrink fit them together or glue? Very good build.

Divided He ad I'm Still looking forward for those plans for those torches.

John T

MM, it is looking good! Following with much interrest!!

How did you make the flywheels? Did you shrink fit them together or glue?

Hello John T, I had some aluminium that was just undersize but I also had some scrap brass picked up from my local scrapyard. Unbelievable they were very close with only about 5 thou needing to be removed from the aluminum. So I turned them down to a reasonable tight fit but cut some 1 thou deep groves and then glued them together.

Mike

Well today I finished the manufacture stage (other than bases) as shown below. I also got one of them running and I will try and post a video.

The next stage will be to polish them up and finish the base. I will also be buying a couple of airbrush pressure containers so they can sit on their desks and be used. That is of course if the sir brush thingy works.....I will let you know.

They (or at least the one I have got running -the other is waiting for the crank to shaft glue to set) should work as the air pressure didn't seem to be excessive to run. I think with some sort of valve to control the air supply, that they should run quite slowly as well.

Its a good design and thank Alan Marconett for his design......

wobbler2Nov2008005.jpg

wobbler2Nov2008008.jpg

Well this is only a rough video, I will do a better one when they are both finished and as a pair......

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YhTnZ2IzUJ0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YhTnZ2IzUJ0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Rough video presented well Mike ;D

It sounds like it was ready to power a fighter!!!

I look forward to seeing the finished product... Are you going for shiny? I like shiny ;D :big:

Ralph.

Latest posts

Back