twisted brass

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xlchainsaw

Reaction score
i made a mold from some 1/4,7/32 and 3/16 brass tubing and casted it. cleaned it up and twisted it! im needing plenty of it for my showmans canopy supports and at the high cost of square brass i came up with this idea. these are only proto types.

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

The end result looks much better than the unclean part. Since you're casting casting square brass, wouldn't it be easier to make a metal mould to cast the bars? Just a thought. ::)

Noitoen said:
The end result looks much better than the unclean part. Since you're casting casting square brass, wouldn't it be easier to make a metal mould to cast the bars? Just a thought. ::)
thanks for the idea /thought but it would pose greater difficulty. i would need expense release type agents and on such a small amount it wouldnt pay dividends.it takes me five minutes to clean a bar up on the disk sander and they are only 6 inches long. altho i need 40 i intend to do a few at a time.

If you turn the pattern so the parting is on the corners the mould would come off much cleaner and you'd have less grinding.

If you make a metal mould with the parting on the corners you won't need any release materials.

Pete

when the brass cools doesn't it shrink? Would the MAG welding torch anti stick spray serve as releasing agent? If the mould pattern consisted of 2 90º grooves to make the square bars, I don't think the casting would stick to the mould, but then again it's just a thought woohoo1

Hi I have just joined your forum and am browsing through, I like your canopy supports and would suggest that you may find it easier to cast them as square and twist in the vice , casting copper alloys into metal moulds is not as easy as sand , but releasing the casting from the die should not be difficult even without a release agent. A die wash of water thinned fire-clay will help to give a good surface finish and die temperature will be pretty hot.

i agree abbey. casting square and twisting for such a small amount is the way to go. by the time i made a die i may have just abouted casted and twisted up as many as i need! :)

Back