Twin Walking Beam

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackfoxsteam

Reaction score
My Twin Walking Beam model steam engine won a Blue Ribbon at the 2013 State Fair of Texas. The YouTube video can be seen at:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey-EvvKhHlk[/ame]

Gorgeous engine to say the least. Also, one of the nicest utube vids I have seen.

Are there plans?

Well Doneth_wavth_wav

Its a nice engine.........................but
youv'e used those hideous cross head screws all over it, there's a wobble on the flywheel and it's running waaaaay too fast.

apart from that it's a nice model.

just my two pence worth.
Roy.

Nicely done. I wouldn't go so far as to call the screws "hideous" but i do agree that it would be better to use something more in keeping with the aesthetics and build quality of the rest of the engine. Either brass (or steel) hex head bolts or studs and nuts.
As far as the wobbly flywheel, if the issue is the center hole slightly off-axis, that's an easy fix. Drill it out a bit larger, press fit a piece of brass round as a plug and re-clock it in the four-jaw so it's running true. Then re-drill the hole.
I've recently developed an aversion to the look of visible plastic tubing. But that's just me. If it were my engine, I'd pipe the intakes down into the base and use the plastic tubing from that point.

Thanks to Roy from UK and YouTube reviewer who objected to my "****' music, I no longer feel inclined to need public reviews of my humble efforts. I'll just show it to grandkids in the future.
Adios from Texas.

Well done blackfoxsteam.:)
A nice runner built how you wanted and I think it is great.Thm:
Cheers.*beer*

I am sorry to hear of your decision blackfoxsteam, but I can't say as I blame you. Thankfully most of the replies from folks around here are not quite so condescending.

I continue to admire your engine and have watched the video many times.

Cheers,

Tom

Don't be so hasty to leave Blackfoxsteam, that's a nice model you have built. You only have one comment on YouTube and that was about the music, personally I thought that it was quite catchy. As others have said, you can improve what is a great model by using fasteners more suited to the era, buy a length of threaded rod in the correct size and make some studs, use nuts as fasteners. Constructive criticism should be noted as a learning experience, it's not running you down, and if you don't want to act on it, that's OK.

In my time on this forum, the members have been very helpful to others with their comments and ideas. Swapping thoughts on what works or looks best is helpful to everyone, there is a lot of experience out there.

Paul.

I like the video, and the music. The music is a good choice and it goes well with the construction part of the video.

I like your engine as well. It is very attractive and presented well. I also think it was a dick head move to come out swinging about the fasteners and could have been presented differently (more the way Stan said it). While criticism is helpful, it has to be done in a supportive manner that makes the criticized receptive and to feel good about themselves and their project. Criticism is more effective when presented as "room for improvement" and not as "hey, your hard work and time looks like crap".

It's your model, and if you want to jb weld it to the base then do it.

Your model gets an A+ from me, fasteners and all. Afterall, it's a blue ribbon engine!

I really hope you stay around as this forum is full of friendly, informative people.

You video is great. I think that you spend a lot of time too make that movie. The engine is really great. Also the woodwork is beautifull.
And I love such a music. It is married with that engine.

Barry

Latest posts

Back