Twin Cylinder In-line Oscillator

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This little engine was built using plans in Stan Bray's Book - Model Marine Steam. There were some dimensional errors on the plans, that I was fortunate enough to find and correct. The crankshaft was the most difficult and time consuming part of the project.

l1070670.jpg

l1070667-2.jpg

I like your engine, it runs isn't that a great moment. Several of the drawings in that book need a closer look. I am working on my skill level as well but until that improves using what I can find in "The It Will Be Useful One-day" box. Many thanks for sharing your engine..

Thank you JC54. I have now built most of the engines in Mr. Bray's book - they all run except the clacker!! Possibly the easiest model in the book, but I just can't seem to get it right!

I had a look at that motor this morning and from the plans I would guess that getting the ball to seat correctly and adjusting the pin length from top of piston to lift the ball the correct amount could be a problem. I remember reading somewhere about when seating a ball into that sort of seat give it a tap with a hammer, throw that ball away and then replace with an identical new ball. May be worth a try? John

I did seat the ball as directed, but only had one ball of the correct size,so I could not replace the seating ball. It looked fine to the naked eye. Nevertheless when I get back into my shop I am going to revisit that engine and probably make some revisions as well. e.g. make it a vertical engine, so gravity will also help the valve. Either that or install a weak compression spring.
John Thanks for your input. I am also hoping to try my first boiler build using Mr. Bray's technique.

Back