Tuning the motors and xyz travel-X1 conversion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lensman57

Reaction score
Hi to everyone ,

Can some one please tell me the best way of tuning the motors and setting the XYZ axis on a converted SIEG X1 (direct motor coupling). I am going to be using MACH3 and I wish to keep the motor speed and acceleration quite modest until I get to know the whole systems real world capability. I was hoping to keep the the XY motor at 50mm per minute and the Z axis at 25mm with the acceleration at about 1/3 of the speed. Does this make sense if I kept the micro stepping at 1/2, ie: 400 steps per revolution, the motors are the usual 200 steps affair, the lead screws for the XY are 2mm in pitch and 1.5mm for the Z axis. I would also wish to fine tune the XYZ travel by physically measuring the real travel against indicated and let the MACH3 correct the steps to correct the travel.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Best Regards,

A.G

Have you checked the Mach support site? www.machsupport.com

There is also an Installation and Configuration manual that might help explain that stuff.

in the lower right corner of the motor tuning dialog block there is a box marked steps per. this refers to steps per unit. If your native units is set to Millimeters from what you are telling us then you should enter 200 into that block for your x and y. 400 steps is one rev on the lead screw and the pitch is 2 so one complete turn moves 2mm
set the z for 266.
reference page 5-19 of the mach manual if you do not have it download it.

Tin

Hi Tin,
Thanks again for your help. I am going to set the TB6560 to 1/2 micro stepping therefore with a motor of 200 MS and a lead screw pitch of 2mm if I entered 200 in the "step per" pane of the MACH3 then I should have about 0.005mm of resolution per step pulse. I think that I am right here, well hope so any way.

Regards,

A.G

Back