'TUBAL CAIN'

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find all these you-tube guys very interesting & valuable, however it's too easy to spend too much time dreaming (watching)!! What would be handy is an index here with a listing of issues we run into, and you-tube videos listed as solutions for same~

Don't forget you can search youtube if you are looking for a specific machine, method, etc. It's far from foolproof; I've used it more than a few time to try to find a video I watched before (but couldn't quite remember where) - sometimes I find it sometimes not. But I have also used it to search for specific methods or machines with a pretty good success rate.

Rod - an index of the type you suggest would be very useful. While it's not quite what you suggest, I have been compiling a list of "useful links" along similar lines for some time. Mostly it is links to web pages, but I have also included some links to videos. For anyone interested the list is posted here:

https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/useful-links

Guys, I am intrigued by the amount of experts you all are mentioning, some good others not so, Myfordboy, all i can say is the following, My old foreman moulder would have been last seen chasing him through Glasgow south ,into Glasgow Central and then Glasgow east holding a long rammer to shove up his posterior, He did not suffer fools gladly! Many years ago approx the mid to late 1950 era my hero whose writings put me very much on sound tracks was a prolific writer in The Model Engineer namely Edgar T Westbury, At this present time I am working on one of his designs The Unicorn Engine, He also did a series on The Model Engineer Beam Engine, His methodology was at the time geared around a period in British history when the average model engineer did not have a lot of spare cash
Edgar T WEstbury was actually Warrent Officer Edgar T Westbury ex Royal Navy , an engine room artificer 1st. class , who rose from the position of a stoker to officer grade , By all accounts he rose from very humble beginnings, He was a wizard with small internal combustion engine design, He also designed a small steam plant for charging batteries for radio transmission behind enemy lines in the jungle in the 1939-46 era they were silent , and the whole caboodle could be packed inside its boiler , the size of a pressure cooker and would be carried by a paratrooper during parashute drops. -- An all time great!

I am guessing that you are not a fan of Myfordboy? I am curious as to why? I am not trained in the arts that he does. As I said i also don't watch him much, prefer those that speak more. But I am curious as to why you don't like him.

During WW2, Stuart Turner made a portable generator set based around their Sirius engine and presumably one of their own design boilers. The whole was packed into a wooden box and easily portable. Existing examples come up from time to time at auction sales, including eBay.
These generating sets were used in Norway, but that doesn't mean they weren't used in other theatres of war.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I am no expert so cannot give a definitive answer to the skills shown by Myfordboy. However he appears to produce some excellent work and I like the fact that he does not possess all of the professional equipment that you might think are necessary and finds some interesting ways of working without these. I would be interested to hear constructive criticism where improvements could be made to inform others.

Ian with very limited kit in the UK.

"My old foreman moulder would have been last seen chasing him through Glasgow south ,into Glasgow Central and then Glasgow east holding a long rammer to shove up his posterior."
I too have seen this sort of behaviour in Glasgow. A place best avoided, in my opinion.
Andy

"My old foreman moulder would have been last seen chasing him through Glasgow south ,into Glasgow Central and then Glasgow east holding a long rammer to shove up his posterior."
I too have seen this sort of behaviour in Glasgow. A place best avoided, in my opinion.
Andy
My old foreman moulder was the nicest kindest man one could have met, a gentleman in every sense, Who led his men by example, He did not countenance shoddy work, If your mould was not finished to perfection heaven help you! The Glasgow folk of my era were the most highly skilled and generous I have ever come across (By the way I am not a Glaswegian) Just proud to have in the past worked there. Oil Mac.

During WW2, Stuart Turner made a portable generator set based around their Sirius engine and presumably one of their own design boilers. The whole was packed into a wooden box and easily portable. Existing examples come up from time to time at auction sales, including eBay.
These generating sets were used in Norway, but that doesn't mean they weren't used in other theatres of war.

Dave
The Emerald Isle
https://www.stationroadsteam.com/stuart-mk814-generating-set-stock-code-3952/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back