'TUBAL CAIN'

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff02

Reaction score
I have just received a copy of “Building the Stuart No.9” written by Tubal Cain. I have also learned he has quite a name in the Model Machinist world.
Just wondering how many know the significance of the name, as for myself I’m a 32nd Scottish Right.

Don't know about the US, but in the UK and Oz Tubal Cain (Tom Walshaw) is well known, as is the origin of the name.

Old Tubal Cain was a man of might
In the days when the Earth was young;
By the fierce red light of his furnace bright
The strokes of his hammer rung;
And he lifted high his brawny hand
On the iron glowing clear,
Till the sparks rushed out in scarlet showers
And he fashioned the sword and spear.
And he sang "Hurra for the handiwork!
Hurra for the spear and sword!
Hurra for the hand that shall wield them well,
For he shall be king and lord!"

We know Tubal Cain in the US too. Most people who've been into model engineering for a while
have seen something by him, or have reference to him in various other publications from other authors.
Tubal Cain = Tom Walshaw here, too.

The origin of the name comes from the Bible, and is a simple, short mention in a section of genealogies.
He's noted as the son of a certain person, and that he knew metal work.

There is also a faker on You Tube who has kiped the name, and plainly passes himself off as the
proper Tubal Cain, (the well known author).

Dean

Tubalcain is a character mentioned in the Hebrew Bible, in Genesis 4:22. He was a descendant of Cain, the son of Lamech and Zillah, and the brother of Naamah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubal-cain

There is a guy on youtube goes by this name but he is not THE Tom Walshaw (just uses that alias)

Regards
Gordy

I think I saw a YouTube clip of him grinding lath bits.

If you are reading a book by tubal cain it is Tom Walshaw , if you saw him on youtube it is Lyle peterson aka mrpete222.

For many many years I always thought the name meant something about raising Cain with model boiler tubes. Doh!

I'm sure Mr Pete in the USA was blissfully unaware of Tom Walshaw's nom-de-plume when he took the Bible's first metalworker for his own net handle. Why would anyone in America know anything about books published in England?

He's the one, I recall a story of him doing a lot of casting in a desert~

The original Tubal Cain's books were quite common in hobbyist metal working supplier catalogs in the USA starting in the early 80's because there were no other such books available. Metal working as a hobby was basically invented by the Brit "model engineers" .

The first imposter I heard about was on rec.crafts.metalworking many years ago. He posted like an old-timer Brit expert. Silly me, I thought he was the real Tubal Cain and emailed him to thank him for the books as they had helped me a lot getting started in the hobby. He later admitted that he was not the real Tubal Cain and claimed to have adopted the name in "honor" of Tom Walshaw. Pure BS. He shortly thereafter quit using the name.

WOB

10 to 15 years ago I picked up a "Mary" kit from Reeves, along with his book on building the it. When I saw the you-tube guy I knew it wasn't the same. The interesting part is figuring out who the Biblical guy was, seems to be a mythical god from just about every culture that fits the picture~

And more intriguing is Hiram Abiff
Yep, there’s just something about a widow's son that makes 'em damn interesting. :)

You must be a traveling man too, huh Rod? You’ll have to let my Brothers and I buy you dinner if you’re out Flagstaff AZ way on the first Thursday of the month.

WBLA,
John W
PM/DDGM
AZ F&AM

Yep, there’s just something about a widow's son that makes 'em damn interesting. :)

You must be a traveling man too, huh Rod? You’ll have to let my Brothers and I buy you dinner if you’re out Flagstaff AZ way on the first Thursday of the month.

WBLA,
John W
PM/DDGM
AZ F&AM

Well, from the abbreviations and the whatever, I guess that you have occupied the Chair of Solomon- and possibly a Grand Master.
Presumably, this is an invitation to join as a guest in a festive board????

So I'm a PProvGPurs and oddly in a Oriental Lodge-- amongst other things.

So Fraternal Greetings and Every Good Wish.

Norman

Well, from the abbreviations and the whatever, I guess that you have occupied the Chair of Solomon- and possibly a Grand Master.
Presumably, this is an invitation to join as a guest in a festive board????

So I'm a PProvGPurs and oddly in a Oriental Lodge-- amongst other things.

So Fraternal Greetings and Every Good Wish.

Norman
Sorry for the missed name Norman! Yep, you hit it on the head, ascendedto the East, currently serving the Grand Line as District Deputy Grand Master.

C'mon out and visit. We put on a great feed!

John

Oh W/Bro John but I'm an ancient Brit of almost 89 years now. The cost of insuring me is quite astronomical.

I 'made it to HongKong which has a delightful HQ under the joint English, Scottish and Irish Constitutions and then on to Fiji but old age, ill health and whatever do take their toll.

But back to KS, HKT and HA, It is quite a fascinating topic in the RA. Being lowly in the pecking order, I do get invites to accompany Grand Lodge and Grand Chapter 'worthies' and enjoy every minute. As a widower now, I have the delight of a Grand Lodge and Chapter mate across the road from me especially as his wife makes me apple tarts.

Oh and festive boards! We have a regular Chinese New Year meeting with some 150-200 of us and tuck in to the usual 15 to 20 courses. Isn't it a lovely way to contribute to charity and really enjoy ourselves too?

So mote it be

Norman

To all my Brothers, I'm a Past Master of a craft Lodge in the UK and a current Master of a Mark lodge. Also a member of the Dorset Masonic Bikers Association. I have a collection of model engineering books by "Tubal Cain" and at the moment have a Stuart Turner Major beam engine and a 1" Maclaren road locomotive in the process of assembly. There are a couple of model engineers in my lodge and we sit and chew the fat at the festive board. I'm now 70 and starting to feel my age so I have installed central heating in my workshop. I can do without cold lathe chucks and milling fixtures.
Anyway, back to play, can't decide what to do today, golf, engineering, photography, clay shooting or should I just sit here with my ritual book for the meeting on Monday.
Yours,
Sincerely and Fraternally

WBLA,
John W
PM/DDGM
AZ F&AM
Yes, headed east, and found my way to become PM Delta #153 Maine, we have an exceptional Lodge for a very small town. Half way between my house and Lodge we have what has been rated as the Number One Beer Bar in the world, "Ebenezers".

Latest posts

Back