Tubal Cain Wobbler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwal74

Reaction score
Hi,

My first attempt at a Tubal Cain Wobbler.

It's not as good as most of the efforts posted here but I had fun making it.

I'm going to make another this week I hope.

Ben.

wob4.jpg

wob2.jpg

wob1.jpg

wob3.jpg

Wobbler3.jpg

Great looking engine. Thanks for sharing

Ben,

"It's not as good as most of the efforts posted here but I had fun making it."

Forget what others are doing, they have most probably a lot more experience, knowledge and super machinery to get to where they are now.

It looks like you are having great fun making your little wobblers, probably you get just as much satisfaction as what the big boys get, so keep at it, learn from your mistakes and make one good piece at a time.

A good tip here,

Instead of following plans religiously, find out where the important bits are, sliding faces, bearings etc, and cut away and shape the unnecessary bits around them to make them look a little more decorative, even a few strategically placed holes can make a model look a lot more complicated and finished than it really is.

Lovely job, keep up the good work.

John

Last edited:
bwal74,

Thank you for showing your engine. I like all mechanical objects and sometimes a simple project is a good change of pace.

I think your sentiment about making another one in the next week embraces the spirit of the shop we all try to have: This is a hobby and having fun is the goal.

Keep posting your progress and don't be afraid of asking for input. Have fun along the way. I read most of the posts in most of the areas and enjoy keeping up with what everyone is doing.

--ShopShoe

Nice Job! I made one similar from LMS plans a few years ago. They called it a Reciprocating Engine. Glad you had fun doing it! :)

Hi,

Thanks for the encouragement. The double acting wobbler is coming along nicely but that could change this weekend - I intend to do some work on it at home.

I guess for interests sake I should explain my situation. I live on the Central Coast of NSW but work in south western Sydney about 135 km away, so I stay at work Monday to Friday and come home on the weekends. I've been doing this for 2 1/2 years now.

So when I'm home I have to stretch myself between my hobbies and my family ( I have a wife and 5 kids - 2 of whom are under 6) and I've only really got my man cave (converted garden shed) sort of up and running this year.

When I'm at work I try and do some machining during lunch and about an hour or so after work most afternoons. So I'm always rushed for time or forgetting tooling or where I'm at. I always seem to take short cuts or make dumb mistakes. But I don't mind, its all fun and I enjoy making them and watching them run in my shed. And the kids love them for about 5 mins then I get them back.

I also have a Stuart V10 kit to make but I'll wait until I can give it the correct time and patience it deserves.

Thanks Ben.

Latest posts

Back