Trying to identify some Al, brass

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smfr

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I picked up some bar scraps from an estate sale today ($20 for some big chunks of Al and brass!), and I'm trying to figure out what it all is.

Some of the Al round bars are marks 24S. This looks like an aircraft Al alloy, but how is it for home machining, compare to, say, 7075?

There are also a couple of Al rods about 3/4" in diameter which have a darker gray skin, and, judging by the machined ends, cut very nicely. Any ideas on how to identify the alloy?

I also picked up a piece of brass (or bronze?), 1 3/8 diameter, with "Bunting", Made in USA, Toledo Ohio on it, and another larger hunk of brass. Any hints on identifying the alloy?

Thanks!
Simon

As far as bunting, it's generally a bearing alloy

http://www.buntingbearings.com/learning.html

See if you can find a designation on the side of it.

The aluminum alloy, sounds like a T24 heat treatment....here are the designations of the heat treat numbers at the end of the material designation.

From MatWeb

Heat Treating T Temper Codes
•T1 - Cooled from an elevated temperature shaping process and naturally aged to a substantially stable condition.
•T2 - Cooled from an elevated temperature shaping process, cold worked, and naturally aged to a substantially stable condition.
•T3 - Solution heat treated, cold worked, and naturally aged to a substantially stable condition.
•T4 - Solution heat treated, and naturally aged to a substantially stable condition.
•T5 - Cooled from an elevated temperature shaping process then artificially aged.
•T6 - Solution heat treated then artificially aged.
•T7 - Solution heat treated then and overaged/stabilized.
•T8 - Solution heat treated, cold worked, then artificially aged.
•T9 - Solution heat treated, artificially aged, then cold worked.
•T10 - Cooled from an elevated temperature shaping process, cold worked, then artificially aged.
Additional digits may be used after the first T temper digit to indicate subsequent stress relieving by processes such as stretching, compressing, or a combination of the two.

See if you can find a 4 digit alloy designator on the bar (like 6061-T24 or 7075-T24 or something like that)

Dave

steamer said:
As far as bunting, it's generally a bearing alloy

http://www.buntingbearings.com/learning.html

See if you can find a designation on the side of it.

There is none, alas, but it looks like this might be be oil-impregnated bronze (SAE 841), which is neat.

steamer said:
The aluminum alloy, sounds like a T24 heat treatment....here are the designations of the heat treat numbers at the end of the material designation.

From MatWeb

Heat Treating T Temper Codes
•T1 - Cooled from an elevated temperature shaping process and naturally aged to a substantially stable condition.
•T2 - Cooled from an elevated temperature shaping process, cold worked, and naturally aged to a substantially stable condition.
•T3 - Solution heat treated, cold worked, and naturally aged to a substantially stable condition.
•T4 - Solution heat treated, and naturally aged to a substantially stable condition.
•T5 - Cooled from an elevated temperature shaping process then artificially aged.
•T6 - Solution heat treated then artificially aged.
•T7 - Solution heat treated then and overaged/stabilized.
•T8 - Solution heat treated, cold worked, then artificially aged.
•T9 - Solution heat treated, artificially aged, then cold worked.
•T10 - Cooled from an elevated temperature shaping process, cold worked, then artificially aged.
Additional digits may be used after the first T temper digit to indicate subsequent stress relieving by processes such as stretching, compressing, or a combination of the two.

See if you can find a 4 digit alloy designator on the bar (like 6061-T24 or 7075-T24 or something like that)

Thanks for the info, Dave, Alas, the markings are mostly obscured. It looks like its hard to identify allows without resorting to spectroscopy, and sadly I don't have a MS in the garage ;D

If it is oil impregnated bronze - it's porous - blow air into it (drill and tap, attach hose etc) - it will leak, bubble and weep oil. Also if you heat it up it will tend to weep oil.

Since that stuff is sintered its not meant for strength / structural application - but obviously wonderful stuff for bearings.

Doesn't everyone have a MS ?

Ken

Yup...got the quadrapole right here in my pocket....and I AM happy to see you

;D

Dave

Back