Trying to get started!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshamilto

Reaction score
Hey!

I am glad to find a forum thats willing to help novices learn the fine points of your wonderful passion. I start with a little about myself. I am currently only 20 and an engineering geology major at Radford University. I grew up in a small town in southwest VA and I always need to be doing something. I have a very wide range of hobbies from whitewater kayaking, to motorcycle riding, and I am hoping to pick up miniature engine building, as I don't have a hobby that allows me to work with my hands which I have been looking for. I have rebuilt several full sized engines and I am very intrigued by all things mechanical. My senior year in high school I used a drill press and files to replace several gears in a broken clock movement and I have been intrigued about machining ever since. I have been looking up sterling engines and stumbled upon your site, which is a wealth of knowledge! It has really given me the bug to not just research these machines but make them as well. I currently don't have a machine but hopefully I will within the next year. I will probably get a small 3in1, although I know that they are advised against, it may be all I can afford to get started. Hopefully however I plan to move up to a sherline mill and lathe. Untill then I will be lurking around and trying to figure out what I can, I have very little expierence machining however I feel that I could learn quickly. If you have any tips or advice to get started please let me know!

cshamilto,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome to the board ;D ............. don't worry about machine's, a file and a hacksaw are more than enough for now, anyway it sounds like you have a lot to keep you occupied good you can fit in a little engineering too.

Once you get around to looking for a machine don't discount 3 in 1's they can be very capable, just have a think about what you want to achieve and take it from there.

CC

Welcome! You have found a great resource. I have been reading this board for the past nine months or so and I think that it is one of the best sources of information that I have found. I picked up a Smithy 3in1 machine on Craigslist about six months ago and have been happy with what it allows me to do. I previously had an Atlas 618 lathe and I think that the Smithy is much more capable. Once again, Welcome aboard.

Jack

Welcome to the forum.
It's a great place. A lot going on. A lot of fun. Great people...and lots to learn.

Welcome to HMEM cshamilto.

Rick

Welcome aboard! I'm a beginner also and won't have my lathe until this Spring. I have already paid a couple hundred dollars on paper and ink cartridges (I've cut and pasted and print out about every build) and books that were recommended by members here. Use the forum search function, and follow given links in the posts. It will give you a myriad of information while you await a machine.

Have fun and get edumakated in the process.

Ed

hey, Welcome to the forum.
I built my first running engine with a hacksaw, a hand drill, some files and some sandpaper.
It was from plans on the (now defunct) ModelTec website, and the engine was called Lucy because it was made from Lucite Plastic. As I recall, all of the metal round stock (like the piston, the crank rod etc.) came from the frame of a paint roller, The flywheel was from an egg beater, and the plastic came from a surplus store. When I put air to it and it ran I was hooked.

Just go for it. And ask questions and take pictures.

Back