Try making the engine in a different way !!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That turned out very well.

I wasn't sure what it was going to look like, but it looks good, too.

I agree that these look best running at a slow to medium speed.

Thank you for posting,

--ShopShoe

With this engine, I think "moderate " running will be better, not necessarily running very fast, running slow it has its beauty because can see everything in motion...
Anyway, Thanks for the suggestion.

As I showed the drawing to insulate the heat inside along with a part of displaces the cylinder inside to avoid heat loss and run economically.

To regulate the speed of stirling engine, you can regulate the height of the flame with the regulating knop in the same way as you do with a kerosene lamp when you regulate brightness/darkness. You can use spirit/alcohol instead kerosene due less soot.

An Ky-Ko stirling fan are using 1 liter kerosene in 48 hours and the height of flame can be regulated as a kerosene lamp. :)

If I really want to make an efficient, economical engine.. I'll do it like the video below, and change it to a fan or something...add a few things like legs, alcohol lamp ...and honestly it's too easy for me, and sure performance , saving is very high, better , nicer... ,

But This topic is just what I wanted to present: "another way to make an engine"
If someone finds it interesting, they can build it, it's very simple, and of course they can do it better, better than me....good for them.

Hi All !
Story continues....
I just made a preliminary design
I will use iron pipe with ID 25mm and I think when finished it will probably have ID of 27mm
First how to cut gears , maybe I'll make a gear cutter using a 12 volt motor
A long term project....
20220729_111330.jpg
20220729_111341.jpg

My Father used a scrap brake cylinder to make a steam cylinder for an engine. Not sure iron pipe will machine to the right grain as a proper bit of cast iron.... material temper condition is all important to get good grey iron.

K2.

My Father used a scrap brake cylinder to make a steam cylinder for an engine.

K2.
That's also a way
Thanks !

I have used all the available as well as purchased: aluminum, brass, steel, cast iron , Stainless Steel..
And including the welded steel tube which is 2.3mm thick and when finished it's only 1mm thick and I use it in several internal combustion engines, flame eater, they're pretty good.,

20220730_225655.jpg

Hi Doug !
Thank you !

A behind story : I had instructed some students in Viet Nam to do a topic at school on stirling engines , then they sent me pictures and videos - engines are so ....bad , and I said to them : " why not make it more beautiful . .." The answer I got was: " I , we don't have the machines to do it "
This is also my answer to them

Last edited:
My first engine was an oscillating engine with a brass 6" nipple for the cylinder. I think I used a holesaw to cut the piston, then turned it on a drill press to sand it smooth. I do not recall what the piston was made of. At the time the only metal tools I had were the DP and hand tools. I made the flywheel from a scrap of 1/2" x 3" MDO ( medium density overlay) . Used a holesaw to cut it out . Hooked it up to the compressor with plastic tubing and a lever valve . The piston rod was a 1/4" diameter steel rod that I threaded 1/4-20 at each end.
I couldn't believe it when it actually worked. Still have it someplace in the shop.
This got me interested in metal working and engines in particular.

Hi All !!!

A question that I have wondered for a long time : Is it possible to make an engine ( Stirling , steam , internal combustion engine ... ) with simple tools and machinery ?
So , I decided to try with the stirling engine , using basic tools and machinery and available materials . If it works, I'll make the internal combustion engine...

its a wonderful idea:)

I searched, and found this one...

Can this inspire your students?
The Question is whatever you choose, but the answer is that the power piston is the water in the tube...
I'll let you teach the students how it works in your own words.
If the hot back-plate was black, you may be able to run this with the sun shining onto the hot plate?
I'm sure there are many more "machine free" engines in the web.
K2

Luv your design and execution of components. That flywheel counterweight has that do the job roughness that just melts into a great presentation of your craftiness without the machine made perfectness. Someone needs to hand out scores and recognitions on this one! Minh is passing on know how to young people on what we enjoy here. ..... Dave

Hi All .
At the end of the year, I clean up and organize some things related to my work
And
I have some bearings, a old motor, some iron bars, some scrap iron sheets ... wire, a few switches, sockets, ...and an old chuck
I thought why not continue this topic
A LONG and CRAZY project
What will it be and what will it do , AND what can it do??
We will know ....

20240103_095351.jpg

Hi All !!!

A question that I have wondered for a long time : Is it possible to make an engine ( Stirling , steam , internal combustion engine ... ) with simple tools and machinery ?
So , I decided to try with the stirling engine , using basic tools and machinery and available materials . If it works, I'll make the internal combustion engine...

Sorry hit reply by mistake.

As Brian R pointed out there maybe an excessive discharge of black gunk from the engine. I have seen this on one of my models and hope it will clear up after some more run time.
Will have to see how the current engine turns out.

Ray

Back