Try making the engine in a different way !!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minh-thanh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Hi All !!!

A question that I have wondered for a long time : Is it possible to make an engine ( Stirling , steam , internal combustion engine ... ) with simple tools and machinery ?
So , I decided to try with the stirling engine , using basic tools and machinery and available materials . If it works, I'll make the internal combustion engine...

Attachments

• 20220711_211330.jpg
    20220711_211330.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 3
Hi Doug !
Thank you !
As you proved : IC can run with a different type of "camshaft" with your "UFO" project
With this engine, I try to use what I can and get the engine running - Run or not wait for the results 😄
With the IC engine, I would do everything: cylinders, gears, camshafts...everything including the ignition. , Cylinder diameter about 25 mm would be easier .
If successful , it will be an inspiration to others who do not have lathes , milling machines and special tools ...
Of course, that's the hope, the outcome is still a mystery 😉

Hi All !
Right now, I don't know if the engine is running or not, but I like it a bit nicer, so I painted it.

I never painting the hot end of the stirling engne. The paint can be a hot barrier to transfer heat into the cylinder to heat up the air. And if need more hot, the paint will burn away.

This project will really make you miss your machines.
Doug
:D:D:D

I never painting the hot end of the stirling engne. The paint can be a hot barrier to transfer heat into the cylinder to heat up the air. And if need more hot, the paint will burn away.
I don't care because the way I do it is different from yours
What worries me is that the crankshaft is quite heavy and it needs counterweight - adding counterweight makes it heavier and adds more friction

Hi All !
An update : Displacer .
Untitled.jpg

PS - A little info for someone interested : I will sell this engine for about .....1...0000 USD .

Minh Than,
I like the idea! "Paso Kid " showed a hardware store steam engine a while back
Hardware store steam engine
It is a way for people to start if they have little access to tools. Good way to introduce kids. I had thought to try a hardware store I.C. engine sometime,
but sometime hasn't gotten here yet.
I'll watch.
Doug
Minh-Thanh,

For an IC engine, Henry Ford’s first engine comes pretty close to doing it without machine tools. Mostly plumbing parts, perhaps a torch-drill-files-sandpaper and lots of “elbow grease”

Here’s my version:

John W

Minh-Thanh,

For an IC engine, Henry Ford’s first engine comes pretty close to doing it without machine tools. Mostly plumbing parts, perhaps a torch-drill-files-sandpaper and lots of “elbow grease”

Here’s my version:

John W

My goal is to make a compact engine and from there I develop more , maybe I2 ..... . Henry Ford's engine is too long .

Hi all !
I went out for some work today, on the way back I " bought " a special metal to make flywheel
Because it's special, the price is special too: " FREE "
z.jpg
20220723_141344.jpg

Your engine run so well. 😊

Tried to run fast with heat on side of displacer cylinder as the drawing shows?

16589893815402440877726208047112.jpg

With this engine, I think "moderate " running will be better, not necessarily running very fast, running slow it has its beauty because can see everything in motion...
Anyway, Thanks for the suggestion.

Latest posts

Back