Trout's Hit-n-Miss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutsqueezer

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
For all practical purposes, finished. Need to install the hall effect device and fire it up. Video to follow, might take a little while.

Started this before Metal Butcher started on his build of 5. What can I say? Someone once said procrastination is the greatest labor-saving invention of all time. I'll go with that.

I may redo the spark plug boot. Not sure I like the way it looks. I made this one from an audio cable end.

Thanks to MB and rudydubya for their path-finding efforts.

Trout

BTW, in case you're wondering, the box is made from cocobolo and big leaf quilted maple.

DSC05839.jpg

Beautiful Build Trout
and the box is georgous as well :bow:
Pete

PUTT-----PUTT-----PUTT-----PUTT. ;D

Should sound and run as good as it looks.

Nice one Trout Thm:

Can't wait to see it run :eek:

Terry

Nice looking engine Trout, looking forward to the video
Brock

A beauty, Trout. Heirloom quality. Looking forward to seeing it run. :bow: :bow:

Regards,
Rudy

Nice one Trout! Can't wait to see it running!

:bow:
Dave

This one is a real eyecatcher. Very nicely done Trout. Dave

That is a real beauty Trout!!!!! ;D

Waiting for the video of it running!!!
Maybe a Christmas treat??? :big:

Did you do a build log of this engine??

Andrew

very nice looking build trout, i like the flywheels, are they one piece with the inter-part sandblasted.is this your design or from plans ,would make a nice next build. the base is a first class touch to a fine looking build. jonesie

Beautiful finish trout! look forward to hearing/seeing it run! that wood looks like it would be great for a guitar or similar.. lovely natural grain and colour.
Stew.

Excellent build Trout. It doesn't matter how long it takes, it's just the finished product that matters. For a spark plug boot you could always use the vacuum fitting type. It makes it look almost like a factory type boot.
gbritnell

View attachment SPARK PLUG CAP.pdf

Thanks for the compliments, guys. Means a lot coming from this crowd.

jonsie, the flywheels are steel and aluminum, pressed together. The plans are available on Upshur's website: http://hamiltonupshur.tripod.com/

lazylathe, I started a build log a long time ago but progress was slow. Metal Butcher started his build around the same time and did such a good job building/documenting that I decided it best to let it lay. This was a good decision as I was glad to be able to see how he did things and learned a lot.

george, I think I'll look into the vacuum type boot. No sense in having something hanging there that will draw my eye every time I look at it and cause me to wonder if something else will look better. I'm obsessive that way.

Lovely bit of work, there, Trout. You make me feel ashamed of my cobbled together wooden engine bases when I could do so much... That's a real beauty!

Chuck

Dennis,
Looks great. I build engines. You build works of art.

If you get real obsessive about the spark plug boot, I did a how to on molding silicon boots back a few months ago. Steve Hucks used the technique for his V8. Not hard to do but it does take some time and the smallest packages of material are enough to do a bunch of boots.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=15354.0

Gail in NM

It's a beauty Trout! You say you spent a lot of time and it really shows. I can see the attention to details in every part.

Congratulations on a job well done! :bow:

-MB

Beautiful Job Trout! That's a gorgeous box too.

I am looking forward to the video.

Your gonna have to work hard to go up one after this. But then its a getting cold in Pilot Hill. Cant wait to see what the spring brings forth from your shop.

And still no ZEE

Robert

Really a great looking engine, and the box is wonderful too. Very very nice!
Congrats
John

Thanks again, guys. Really nice compliments. You know, I'm just trying to keep up with you, one small part at a time. I'm not gonna make it to some levels, but happy to keep trying. Isn't that what it's all about?

Gail, thanks for the link. I always like to try new things, why not molding? I may just do that. On a side note, judging from some of the comments you see every so often about H.F. machines, who would've thought you could produce something that could be construed as art? :)

Yes Robert, it is getting cold in Pilot Hill (still warm by Northern standards, I know). When the shop's at 39 degrees, I really have to force myself to go out there. Once I'm there though, I don't want to go back into the house. And for sure, someone needs to get Zee on the phone and guide him back from the netherworld.

Latest posts

Back