Trouble-shooting a new Stirling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now I’m trying to understand the theory of how these engines work because my motor runs in the opposite direction that I think it should run.

Hello Harry, just remember the displacer piston leads the power piston by 90° to 110°. That will determine the direction it runs. Your engine is fixed at 90° since it is of the Ryder type configuration and with a single crank pin.
I forgot to mention your glass displacer cylinder doesn't have the heat transfer properties of metal and could possibly be a small part of any sluggishness.
I think if you could increase the displacement of the displacer somehow, you would be pleased with the results.

- Ted

Sluggishness is not the problem; non-performance is. I had it more or less running as evidenced in the above video, when many of the parameters were less exacting than they are now. I am totally perplexed.

The power piston fit seems great and if I plug the transfer hole and pull it out quickly it emits a loud “pop”. If I blow into the transfer hole the piston shoots out.

Conversely, blowing into the displacer cylinder does nothing, as expected. I removed the cylinder tube and I could blow through the hole easily.

I think I’m going to eat some worms.

Harry

Back