Well-Known MemberHMEM Supporting Member
- Aug 26, 2018
- Reaction score
- La Salle, Manitoba
After 4 successful steam (air) engine builds I thought I was ready for a stirling. Despite having 2 plans from Jan Ridders and a plan for the Stirling 60 I was having trouble assembling all the required materials so I just decided to start building something to keep gaining experience. I saw a picture of a Chinese stirling being sold on a website and started from there. The results are shown above. All seems OK except it won't work.
With the tubing between the cylinders off it will rotate 7 or 8 times with a flick of the flywheel. With it attached I'll only get 1 to 2 revolutions. That was after I used some fairly large tubing to replace the narrow tube that really restricted the motor. I'm now burning methel hydrate after trying paraffin oil (not good).
Displacer is built from 2 test tubes and power cylinder is brass tube with aluminum piston. You get a nice "pop" when the piston is removed. The stroke and bore are about 1/2". The displacer piston has about .040" clearance. Nothing seems to be rubbing. There are no bearings but all joints were polished with Brasso. I like the engine but...IT WON'T RUN!
I've tried everything I can think of and am hoping someone here can offer something else I can try or point out where I've gone wrong. It doens't even seem to try to run even after pouring the heat to it for 5 minutes so I'm starting to suspect a design flaw.