Treadmill Motors

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GordTopps

Reaction score
What are Treadmill motors?
Is Treadmill the name of a motor or a type of motor i've never heard of?
Seen lots of posts referring to Treadmill motors, but never understood what they are.
Thanks in advance
Gordy

Treadmill motors are motors out of electric treadmills. Don't worry, we never see 'em here either, they are more an American thing.

Opinion upheld....

Treadmill motor is a term our American cousins favour as a source of replacement power for the 9*20 lathe...

Essentially it is a universal motor that can be speed controlled by simple electronics

I converted my 9*20 to vfd using a Teco FM50 and a suitable 220v 3ph motor..

Many thanks for the replies, I guessed it was something like that. ;)

Gordy

Gordy:
The treadmill motor technology is basically the same type of motor and controller that is used in the Seig Mini mills and mini lathes aka 7x lathe and x2 mill.
Tread mills are fairly common here on the northeast coast of the US. People use them for various reasons :cold weather in winter, bad neighborhoods , heavy car traffic privacy etc. . They are available new from the local Wal mart, srorting goods stores exercise equipment dealers. On the used market at yard sales or for sale in front yards or flea markets . Occasionally these tossed out at the curb discarded on trash day. If scrap values are up scrappers are usually out grabbing anything made of metal before the trash trucks are out.

The curciut board controller converts the line voltage 120 ac to about 90vdc. Here in the states 110VAC is common house voltage although 220 is also available in homes and shops. Tread mill motors typically have more power than the standard seig motor.The controller gives out pulsed dc the more pulses per second the faster the motor runs. also add a crossover switch and most of these motors will run in either direction .
Ti

Back