Treadle Engine Fred

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davyboy

Reaction score
Hi all. Had an idea for a finger engine. It's taking shape nicely. Here's a photo of the pieces. 2" aluminum angle, 2-1/8" X 1/2" flywheels. Delrin bushings for crank bearings.

Fred28.jpg

The crankshaft is built up loosely following Bogstandard's tutorial posted in December. I used 5/16" and 1/4" keystock, 5/32" CR shaft, pinned together with 1/16" roll pins. Photo is on the first fit-up assembly.

Fred23.jpg

Here's a photo after milling the frames and treadle. One flywheel removed for clarity. Lots of polishing left to do.

Fred25.jpg

For my first assembly, I super-glued the flywheels to the shaft, they held pretty good. I'm thinking on sticking with it :D for permanent. My flywheels seem to be 416 Stainless, as it's magnetic and it sure ain't mild! Had a he** of a time turning them, don't want to think about detailing and / or tapping.
Well that's it so far, only took 7 weeks to get here, Will have pics when finished.

Davyboy

Davy,

It's looking good so far. I am really digging on the frame!

Eric

Looks Great!! I'm digging that frame also:O) Keep us posted on your progress.

Wes

Davy,

The use of angle for the frames is a great idea and offers lots of possibilities too!!! Nice job.

Heres one I did a while back but not nearly as "curvy." I am still hoping to put a vertical cylinder on extension arms above the treadle and turn it into a powered version also.

Evolution1.jpg

Hi. Thanks for the encouragement. The CNC at work helped with the curvy frames. When I get my own mill, then I gotta use a rotary table. There is so much room for artistic expression in this hobby. I like the way wlindiii used the brass for contrast on his fine piece :) .
I've got a couple pieces polished with 400 grit, want to go at least to 800. I'm starting to wonder how she'd look with a good thick coat of paint :eek: . Or maybe this shape could be built up to look like castings....Maybe try that one later.
Fred26.jpg

Dave,

The polishing is already looking good...its a lot of time consuming work I know but with those beautiful side frames I vote for polishing instead of paint...easy to say since its your effort ;D Please do keep the pics coming.

Bill

Latest posts

Back