Transparent tank

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to build a gas tank (Coleman) with one side transparent.
Copper tube, with one recessed ring, inside, to register the transparent side.
What material and glue work for this application?

how about a receiving part with an oring that a glass disk can go in with a retaining ring that threads in to hold the glass?

I've used lexan with an o-ring, just pressed in. No need for glue or retaining ring.

I cannot visualize an O ring seal without being captive between two surfaces, the Lexan and some kind of pressing ring.

Do you care to describe a bit more?

If the lexan is a round disk, you could machine an O ring groove around the outside edge and then press it in place.

Paul.

For what it's worth, glass watch-glasses are made in 1mm size-increments, are quite accurately round and are petrol-resistant. (A 28mm one fitted my fuel-tank quite nicely, and got some puzzled looks from the shopkeeper where I bought it.)
Geoff.

Mauro, as I recall, Jan Ridders told me he just uses super glue to glue the glass to a flange on the metal tank.

Chuck

Hi Mauro. I am struggling against a similar project. Please provide us feedback on your future developments. Many thanks in advance!

IIRC Cyanoacrylate (superglue) was an accidental outcome of a formulation intended to glue lenses together.
So if the surfaces are properly cleaned and prepared, I think superglue will work well.

Caveat: There are limits to temperature change (range & lower limit) at which it will fail.

Again IIRC a lower limit of ±minus 20°C and a range of 60°C - a company I used to work for gave up on superglue as a permanent production adhesive (but O.K. for temporary) because of these problems.

What are the consequences of failure ? always a good question to consider in engineering.

Edit: Cyanoacrylate (crazyglue) generally causes Lexan to craze and breakup (some Loctite and other hydrocarbon formulations also) rather use plexiglass / perspex.

Regards,

If you have a fuel tank mounted on your engine and the glue fails while the engine is running, it can get pretty exciting really quick!!!

I think I like to start with the O ring in a peripheral groove on a 3/16' or 1/4" Lexan. The only problem I see is to turn the Lexan disc with double tape, and pressure from the tail stock.

How about an aluminium gas tank using square tube (or the square tube with rounded corners. And then you can let in an acrylic window more easily.

Jim

This is the aluminium tank I am building for my version of Jan Ridders' Two Stroke Puppy. I ran a 2mm radius corner rounding cutter along the aluminium tube and a 3mm cutter on the end plates. You can see the acrylic window which should let me see how much fuel is in the tank.

Jan's design uses a glass tank which looks good but my other engines have chips in the paintwork where the starter drill has slipped; I figured that putting a glass tube in the way was not a good idea.

Jim

57 Fuel tank components ready for glueing.jpg

I will use JB Weld on all the joints. It has worked for me in the past. The trick will be to avoid getting it on the acrylic window (or at least, getting it off again).

Jim

Back