Training

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollaccia

Reaction score
Where does one get training to run a CNC mini mill. I have searched the web, and found many books, but there geared for the student that is enrolled in an engineering course. I am a hobby machinist, and not looking to get a job in the machine shop field. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Paul

good question. There may be courses available at your local vocational school or community college.
as far as mini mill you will likely want or need training on the software used for these machines.

The people from Mach 3 have given seminars at Cabin Fever and other shows . there will be a Cam bam seminar this year as well as info on the new Mach 4 software.

Linux cnc is another common home cnc software.

As tough as it seems most home shop cnc guys are self taught. some have access to local classes and adapt the basics to home software.
tin

I'm in the same boat. The local community college offers night courses, but I figured I would just learn by doing. Starting small and basic, then work my way up....

Where does one get training to run a CNC mini mill. I have searched the web, and found many books, but there geared for the student that is enrolled in an engineering course. I am a hobby machinist, and not looking to get a job in the machine shop field. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Paul

Books can be a great help, pick up one or two that focus on GCode. Beyond that colleges and tech schools have been mentioned. Don't become of a mind set that everyone taking a college course does so to get a new job. You also need the manuals specific to your controller as you will want to learn to leverage the thing in MDI mode.

Beyond the GCode end of things eventually you need to learn CAD/CAM to really put a CNC machine to use.

Back