Toronto Team build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be open to a Toronto Team Build...

I've less machining experience so hopefully nothing too complex for me.

I think something that is not too complex to build yet is visually very appealing so we cud perhaps show the results at a few events and try to attract more ppl from Toronto to model engineering and this site.

well, perhaps you have something in mind....? i don't want to necessarily drive this bus, i'm quite willing to to my part on any project.

are you thinking stock build or casting sets?

well, perhaps you have something in mind....? i don't want to necessarily drive this bus, i'm quite willing to to my part on any project.

are you thinking stock build or casting sets?

Im pretty open, but we have few takers so far. Stock build might attract more interest. But we have a castings supplier in Ontario... and I've wanted to try IC engine build.

Toss out ideas, see what sticks?

Tiny IC
Howell V2
Grasshopper steam engine
Perkins
Morse Fairbanks

or even a boiler build... with all the accoutrements

We'd be very interested in that. I had so wanted to go to cabin fever this weekend...

I need to find ME club in Toronto or surrounding area.

me too. there are a few clubs around, perhaps we could check them out.

where are you located?

The hardest part of the traction engine is likely paying for the boiler metal! I'm trying to buy 3" copper pipe in Type L or type K but they want me to buy 12' length! Works out to about $450 plus tax...

noble trade, right?

forget that place and go to ponte plumping. he'll sell you much smaller cuts.

noble trade, right?

forget that place and go to ponte plumping. he'll sell you much smaller cuts.
I've done work for Noble trade, Im not a fan. I usually use Fulford supply, but everywhere now seems to not want to sell cut pipe. Thanks for the heads up on Ponte... that will be special trip terrible location to get to for me.

I've done work for Noble trade, Im not a fan. I usually use Fulford supply, but everywhere now seems to not want to sell cut pipe. Thanks for the heads up on Ponte... that will be special trip terrible location to get to for me.

i believe i paid $10 a foot for a six foot piece he just happened to have handy.

for other metal supplies, i use onlinemetals.com.

Toronto Builder, you might give these folks a call if you haven't already. They seem to be quite reasonable on other metal, and they have often cut me a foot or two or three with no extra charge. http://www.metalsplus.ca/

Just a happy customer of theirs.

Tom

Toronto Builder, you might give these folks a call if you haven't already. They seem to be quite reasonable on other metal, and they have often cut me a foot or two or three with no extra charge. http://www.metalsplus.ca/

Just a happy customer of theirs.

Tom

Great thx for the tip. Its nice to have many alternatives. I live about 10 -15 minutes from a metal supermarket store, but they lack copper and grey iron... whitby isnt too far and its on the way to my fav cigar store.. so I'll check them out soon.

I will likely have to pass on a project for the time being as I have some medical stuff coming up that will keep me out of the shop for a while.

Also, I have a 3 1/2" Britannia Locomotive on the go at the moment.

Tom

I will likely have to pass on a project for the time being as I have some medical stuff coming up that will keep me out of the shop for a while.

Also, I have a 3 1/2" Britannia Locomotive on the go at the moment.

Tom

Nice my brother Tom and I got interested in model engineering due to live steam locos like the Britannia.

I have a CT041 12” x 37” lathe, and a CT129N mill... plus typical shop tools. I dont yet have my rotary table up and running for gear cutting tho...

I too have some plans kicking around.

p.s. my brother is happy to act as a team member on his own, so we can fill two spots

rotary table is a must have for sure, but don't forget the indexing head for gear cutting if you're interested in that end of things.

i have cut gears and look for any excuse to do so, but not many of my current projects requires any gearing :(

i have casting equipment as well.

what sort of things have you built ?

Latest posts

Back