Tool post

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronson

Reaction score
I would like to make a fourway tool post for my south bend, i am not a fan of the one it comes with. What would be the best metal for this if i don't plan on doing anything with it after it is machine for ex sample Harding. Also a product that is easy to get.

I think your average everyday steel will be quite adequate.You can use cast iron,if that's easier to get,but the tool holders should still be steel.

I made this one out of hot rolled 1x4 stock about 2 years ago. it works fine and was never hardened. I will point out though, that the threads seem to be the weakest link after much use/abuse. I probably should have heat treated it, but you can always do that later.
Rich

Pdr_0133.jpg

Bronson,

Mild steel would be fine for the body of the toolpost. I would recommend the use of high tensile studs, otherwise when the ends splay after several clampings of tool holders/HSS, they are very difficult to remove from the post.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Bob

My three way post was made from mild steel and has been in service for quite a few years with no problems.

What ever kind of steel you have handy will do the trick, Bronson. CRS, A36 hot rolled, leaded. They are all strong enough for this. I have one made from 1018 and one from A36 HRS and can't tell the difference.

Maryak's suggestion is a good one, and maybe even take a further step. I use hard SHCS screws in mine, and once in a while a bottom thread will still flatten a bit. Finally I just turned off the last thread to a slight bevel,where the screws press on the tool. No more hard threading when I have to remove one of the screws.

Show us your results!

Dean

Thanks for all the quick replies. I have a steel yard 2 mins from my house and they always have chucks of hot rolled in the scape bin so it will be easy to get. I haven't decided if a regular tool post "4way" or the adjustable height one clamped on a cylinder like RichD showed i will let you know. Thanks again.

Guys,

There is no such thing as "mild steel." The "MS" designation means merchant steel. This is a general purpose low carbon (<.2% C) steel that is not designated for carbon content or minimum yield strength.

that must the stuff I sometimes get hold of

what you really mean is that is made of old bed angle and will not machine at any speed with any cutter made

in old school parlance I always try to get EN1A leaded if I do not need to weld it , but some merchants sell GCQ (good commercial quality) as the correct grade that you ordered

Lew_Merrick_PE said:
Guys,

There is no such thing as "mild steel." The "MS" designation means merchant steel. This is a general purpose low carbon (<.2% C) steel that is not designated for carbon content or minimum yield strength.

Don't wanna be pedantic Lew ( aw heck, yes I do) but mild steel is a common term world wide and has been the whole time I've been blundering around on this planet. Even the steel manufacturers use it if you care to check out a few of their sites. Never heard the term 'Merchant Steel' - steel merchant, yes, merchant steel, no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel

Lew_Merrick_PE said:
Guys,

Many of us know that, Lew, except it's Merchant Stock, not merchant steel. And, those of us who do know that just say "mild steel" so everyone else knows what we are talking about.

Well after looking through my tool box today i forgot that i had bought a quick change tool post for another lathe years ago and when i sold the lathe i kept the tool post. So that solves the tool post issue.

Deanofid said:
Many of us know that, Lew, except it's Merchant Stock, not merchant steel. And, those of us who do know that just say "mild steel" so everyone else knows what we are talking about.
Check out ASTM-A274 for the formal definition of merchant steel.

Merchant stock is the difference between standard sizes and shapes and those that are generally available at most times. I.E. There are 973 individual AISC rolled structural steel shapes maintained in the standard. However, only about 450 or so of them are normal merchant stock. You have no idea how hard it is to explain to the typical engineer that, yes, that shape is part of the standard, but, if you want it, you are going to have to buy at least 1000 feet of stock and pay for the die-set installation and removal.

It's like the term parametrics. Everybody uses it today to mean something related through a series of rules. A parametric rule-set has specific mathematical meaning. All parametric constructs are rules-based, but not all rules-based constructs are parametric. (A parametric construct has rules that depend on external, independent variables.) It's hard enough to communicate technical concepts accurately without have our terms redefined on-the-fly by those who have not bothered to learn the concepts.

Like Tel, Ive worked with steel for most of my life (cept the last 10) and the term mild steel is almost universally accepted and more importantly we all know what it means. But thanks for the heads up.

Rob T

Yeah Artie, must be an American thing, tho' I googled both merchant stock and merchant steel and got no meaningful hits - the only term that came up in this context was 'merchant bar' which seems to have the same definition as merchant stock. Go figure, I've called it mild steel for the last 50 years or so and intend to continue doing so for the next 50.

Well ole mate.. I wish you well in your quest.... another 50 would be about right..... ;D

Lessee - I'll be 113 then - probably get run over coming out of the Bawdy House!

hey, I built the tool post suggested in Home Shop Machinest a few years back. Its round, got 60 degree v-ways for holding the tool holders and expands with a set screw to tighten the tool holder. I built the second generation one, new and improved. Look it up. I really like it. It's sturdy, accurately repeats if you change holders and easy to build. I'm recommending it. One change I'd make though is I'd recommend heat treating the parting toolholder. This might be true for most quick change holders too. I've had some parting tool jambs that have damaged the slot that holds the tool. Doesn't hurt anything else though. On second thought, maybe a damaged tool holder is a small price to pay.

Latest posts

Back