Tool Post Grinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadin

Reaction score
LMS has their Tool Post Grinder for the mini-lathe on sale this week for $79.95
Do I want one????

Dean

Dean,
I have one but only used it a few times. Shortly after I bought it I was able to find a used Dumore at the right price and have not used it since. I was grinding some hardened steel punches

The spindle preload seemed excessive on mine, but I never tried to change it. It worked OK, but not great. It would be unfair to compare to my Dumore as there is about a 10:1 price difference between the two of them. I also wanted internal grinding capability. If you have any questions about it I will be glad to try to answer them.

I kept it to use to make a cam grinder, but it is now obvious that I will never get around to doing so. If you decide you do want one, and are interested, contact me by PM or email and I will make you a good deal on mine.

Gail in NM

I'm glad this question came up.

If we have the ability to turn metal on our lathes, why would we want to use a grinder instead? My bench grinder I use makes horrible grinding marks on metal when use it with the standard wheel. Even a new green wheel I bought still makes marks. I can get a better finish turning on my lathe. I cannot understand why anyone would do the same on a lathe grinder.

But apparently there is a demand for these and the name brand job is super expensive new. What am I missing here?

Using a tool post grinder allows you to work with material that can't be cut using normal methods.
Hardened tool steel shafts, cutters and punches are examples. The proper dressing of the grinding wheel
will make a huge difference on the finish, just remember to cover the ways to keep loose grit off of them.

Also with the proper wheel selection a tool post grinder can give a far better finish on anything that has to rotate or move back and forth in a bore. Some parts just do require that type of smooth finish for a seal or mechanical longevity. Hardened parts? Self explanatary.

Pete

Okay, thanks. I understand better now. :)

Latest posts

Back