Tool Needed at Work

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
Our maintenance man had to borrow a tool from the machine manufacturer to remove a part
that is threaded into a fit that is about 3 inches deep in a 1-1/2 inch diameter recess.
The part has 4 holes in it's face for a face spanner type of tool to engage.

Yesterday he showed me the borrowed tool and asked if I could make one so we'd have one of our own.
I had time today to make it for him.
In the industry they call it "reverse engineering", I call it making a copy of what they did.

PressFaceSpanner.jpg

It's actually pretty simple.
Screw four 10-32 set screws into the tapped holes on the end to fit into the holes in the part and you're good to go.

The center bore is just for clearance over a nut on the part and the 3/8" cross hole is for a piece of round stock to
go through to turn it.

It was a fun little project.

Rick

Simple enough (when you know how) and does wonders for ones reputation.

Jim

When I was about 18 I struggled to find a way to remove the flywheel mag from a 125cc Royal Enfield. My dad had a peep and next day came home from work with a puller he'd made (at someone's expense) He'd even oil-black finished it.

7 or 8 years later I had an Enfield 500 twin which needed a puller for the clutch center. Dad's puller came to the rescue and was a perfect fit. Sadly he'd died in 1961 when I was 19 so I had to thank him with a prayer.

Ray

I've made a few specialty pullers in my days.

Back in my antique engine restoration days, I bought these remains of a 1935 Briggs Model Y
washing machine engine.

1935%20Model%20Y%20Before.jpg

The flywheel was secured to the crankshaft with a bolt through a cross drill hole.

1935%20Model%20Y%20Starter%20Clutch.jpg

It took a special puller with pins to remove that flywheel.
I made my own by modifying a cheap two jaw puller from the local auto parts store.

1935%20Model%20Y%20With%20Puller.jpg

After I was finished with it, I put it on eBay and it sold instantly.
Then I made six more and sold them on eBay as well.

As for the Model Y, it ended up looking like this:

1935%20Model%20Y%20%20Done%20Front%20with%20Starter%20Cover.jpg

And, it did run.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqi5JuDEYGY[/ame]

I'd bet starting up your washing machine too early on the weekend mornings might make you
unpopular in the neighborhood. :D

It also ended up on the eBay auction block to help buy more machines for my hobby shop.
I have another 90% complete Briggs Model Y in the basement that is destined to go to a certain
model engine builder to be scaled down to a miniature version.

Rick

That's a beautiful job you did on tht engine Rick. I like old things that need restoring myself.

Don

That's precisely how I feel, an old thing that needs restoring ;)

Don1966 said:
I like old things that need restoring myself.
Don

If you promise it won't hurt too much.................................I may be interested. ;)

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
If you promise it won't hurt too much.................................I may be interested. ;)

Best Regards
Bob
Gee guys I could us some restoring myself LOL!

Don

It must be a lot warmer in Pennsylvania than I thought. Running a B&S in the house with a muffler on it is a very dangerous practice. In Canada washing machines came with a B&S or the more popular Iron Horse engine, no muffler, but a length of 1" flexible steel exhaust hose that the housewife stuck out her kitchen window on washday.

Hey Rick, that "y" has me all drooling and lusting ...just want to finish up the Rider Ericsson here in the next month and will be looking for another "bigger" project :big:

Stan said:
It must be a lot warmer in Pennsylvania than I thought. Running a B&S in the house with a muffler on it is a very dangerous practice. In Canada washing machines came with a B&S or the more popular Iron Horse engine, no muffler, but a length of 1" flexible steel exhaust hose that the housewife stuck out her kitchen window on washday.

Maytag had the best hose and muffler set up.
Housewives learned to drop that ball muffler end into a large bucket of water outside.
It made it quieter and kept the exhaust smoke from getting to the clothes drying on the line.

MaytagModel72Washer.jpg

That is a Model 72 with a Fruit Jar Engine. That engine was made from 1922 to 1926.
I've never seen one of those engines in person, and couldn't afford to buy one of I did.
They go for thousands.

I do have a Maytag Model 92.

As Found: Seized up and missing a few parts.
Maytag%2092M%20As%20Is%20Starter%20Side.jpg

One Month Later:
Maytag%2092M%20Finished%20Starter%20Side.jpg

They were 2 stroke hit and miss engines.
Kind of cool to hear them running.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncXE69QEWy4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkoII8hsg8w[/ame]

The modern muffler was mounted with a home made adapter.
Again, nothing exciting, I just welded a 3/4" pipe coupler to a hand made flange.

Maytag%2092M%20Muf%20Adpt%20Parts.jpg
Maytag%2092M%20Muf%20Adpt%20Welded.jpg

Maytag%2092M%20Muf%20Adpt%20Mounted.jpg

Now I'm getting interested in doing another antique engine restoration.

Rick

You have a nice looking Maytag engine Rick. I have two in the garage that need rebuilding or restoring. I hope to be able to pull parts from both to get one of them running. Your video has given me some inspiration to get started. I know this is a model engine forum so would it be OK to post questons of the rebuild of the full size engine?

Dave

I was about 10 years old when electricity came to my part of Ontario. For the next 5 years, all of the local housewives woould give you their old gasoline powered washing machines just to get rid of them. It broke my heart that the engines weren't quite powerful enough to drive a go kart. Although I did have one rigged on my bicycle for a while, and on a paddle wheel boat.

bazzz said:
You have a nice looking Maytag engine Rick. I have two in the garage that need rebuilding or restoring. I hope to be able to pull parts from both to get one of them running. Your video has given me some inspiration to get started. I know this is a model engine forum so would it be OK to post questons of the rebuild of the full size engine?

Dave

I certainly have no problem with that!
The Break Room board is open to any such topics.

My home hobby machine shop was originally assembled and tooled to make replacement parts
for my antiques engine restoration when old stocks had dried up.
The model building came along later in time and led to this.

If you happen to need a service manuals for those old Maytag's, I have them.

Brian Rupnow said:
I was about 10 years old when electricity came to my part of Ontario. For the next 5 years, all of the local housewives woould give you their old gasoline powered washing machines just to get rid of them. It broke my heart that the engines weren't quite powerful enough to drive a go kart. Although I did have one rigged on my bicycle for a while, and on a paddle wheel boat.

I saw a Maytag Racer go kart at an auction once.
The Maytag Collector's Club Website has a good write up on them.

That was another auction that I had to walk away from or go broke!

Rick

The engines I was familiar with were the Briggs and Stratton, which I think my uncle said was 5/8 horsepower and had a vertical cylinder, and the Iron Horse which was slightly more powerfull but the cylinder was on an angle.

Now I'm getting interested in doing another antique engine restoration.

Rick

OH I have one stewing on the back burner.....A Fitzhenry Guptal forest fire pump

The engine is free, the pump really needs new plungers....but it's all there.

Dave

Brian Rupnow said:
The engines I was familiar with were the Briggs and Stratton, which I think my uncle said was 5/8 horsepower and had a vertical cylinder, and the Iron Horse which was slightly more powerfull but the cylinder was on an angle.

The Doodle Bug Scooter was first manufactured with a Briggs Model NP engine in it.

I sold my Johnson Iron Horse.

Iron%20Horse%20Finished%20Front.jpg

Some of these have also been sold, but I still have a few of them hanging around.

Collection%20So%20Far.jpg

Front to back:
Briggs WM - Briggs WMB - Clinton A301
Briggs 5S - Briggs IR-6 - Briggs 8-R6 - Briggs 6S -Briggs 6B-HS
Briggs WI - Briggs N - Clinton 3100-3105

And then...
I have this Jager cement mixer engine that I need to get back to someday.

Jaeger%20Hercules%20As%20Received%201.jpg

Rick

Nice collection of old engines Rick. I have some copied pages of a manual for my Maytags. I may take you up on your offer at a later date. Thanks,

Dave

Back