Tool gloat.... .00005" indicator

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TroyO

Reaction score
I threw a bid out on a Mitutoyo Digimatic indicator, not actually expecting to win with my paltry bid. ($40)

I got it for what I think is a "song".. $36

It was listed as used, but it still had the protector film over the plastic and shows zero signs of use. .5" range, .00005" rez or 12MM/.0001 (More than I will ever need)

I'm happy dancing! Think this will be better than my $10 Harbor Freight one?

;D

Egauge.jpg

Well done. What a great way to start the year. It is said that the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten but I think you will remember the price of this one.

Congratulations
Jim

You dog! ;D I love eBay "kills" like that. One comes along every few months, and it's always fun.

Weird thing about indicators that measure to some insane decimal place - you look at them cross-eyed, and the last digit changes. You can certainly see temperature affect the measurement.

The sign of a superior measuring tool is how well it repeats. My Mitutoyo digital mike, across a 0.500 gauge pin, will show something like

etc, pretty much nailing it each time, while a cheaper mike might show a much worse variation, which makes you wonder which reading is correct.

Anyway, enjoy your new tool!

Back