Tool chest materials

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hblair: Nice job on the toolbox but where is the Machinery Handbook drawer?:)

John

There are only a few pleasures in life better than building your own Gerstner style, quarter sawn White Oak took box. I've built several.
As far as tools rusting, NOT A PROBLEM. White oak when dried has about 2% moisture content. On top of that you are going to seal it with a oil finish.
If you are going to stool any tool in damp environment, such as a basement, I suggest that you invest in a good dehumidifier.
I hope you can hear me clapping at your fine work.
Mosey

As for milling your own lumber, take a look at Mathias Wandel's web site for some inspiration. Here is the page featuring his shop-made 14-inch bandsaw designed for resawing logs. Detailed description and videos, in addition to plans you can purchase for a reasonable price.

http://woodgears.ca/bandmill/index.html

Thayer

This box was for my son. He doesn't know Machinery's Handbook from Adam.
Actually, I thought about this when I was designing my first toolbox. I broke from Gerstner's design in this regard as I wanted the space for tools.

but the Machieries handbook is a very important tool. just not made of metal and hard to get an accurate measurement with it.
Tin

Pretty amazing that toolbox design has evolved around a book.
The tool box evolved around the tools. The MH is one tool that should be in every machinist toolbox. In the home shop a shelf nearby is an option. In a pro shop in the box is better as is deters it being borrowed if the box is locked when not in use.
The smaller apprentice boxes the MH fits in the till.
Tin

Ages ago I saw a portable saw mill at a field days that did the cutting with a chainsaw. The saw was held in a jig that rolled along rails. Dunno if that gives you an idea to fab something up.

There is, by splitting in to small pieces with a maul, then to boards with a froe. But it's a lot of work. Another way is to use a decent, large bandsaw and a sled that will hold a small log. Again a lot of work, but you can usually find the small logs for cheap, or free.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

There are only a few pleasures in life better than building your own Gerstner style, quarter sawn White Oak took box. I've built several.
As far as tools rusting, NOT A PROBLEM. White oak when dried has about 2% moisture content. On top of that you are going to seal it with a oil finish.
If you are going to stool any tool in damp environment, such as a basement, I suggest that you invest in a good dehumidifier.

Very nice. I starting the planning necessary to build one, but then ended up needing to move the family, so all projects have been on hold for a year.

I'm curious - did you use finger joints on the bottom? I did a trial run at finger joints making a toybox for my son, and it was not easy - I don't think my jig was rigid enough to make everything perfectly repeatable.

I believe that the moisture content of your wood cabinet or anything else you have will be determined by that of the space in which it is kept. I think someone said something here about taking his wood down to 2% moisture content. Horsepucky! I don't think so.
As for oak promoting rust? More expletive. My Gerstner is 65 years old, and full of Starrett and other steel tools, no rust whatsoever.
If you don't want any oak chests, send them over, I'll pay the freight.
Mosey :D

Unfinished red oak in contact with some steels will cause rust. When working with it in my old employer's cabinet shop, you did not want to leave soft steel like nails on the unfinished veneer. It would leave blue streaks on the oak as it oxidized the steel.

In Michigan, you can get kiln dried lumber to 6%. If you live by the lake, it will be 12% in the summer, 4% in the winter. Just have to build accordingly. A table I built recently has shown 1/2 inch shrinkage over 32" of walnut top. Lumber was air dried a very long ago (60 years) by my grandfather in Central Ohio. I built it in the summer. My mother placed it over the forced air heater vent. Breadboard ends were flush. 1/4 inch gap each side now.

Latest posts

Back