Took the Bridgeport plunge

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spent the day moving this mill to it's new home. After next week I hope to NOT be working 7 days and get some time to get it setup, wired, and dialed in. It has been completely redone and ready for action.

DSCN1721.JPG

DSCN1719.JPG

DSCN1720.JPG

Nice machine!

You can't kill a Bridgeport.

Rick

Steve,

Congrats on a very nice mill - I'm envious ::)

Best Regards
Bob

I spent some time getting the mill wired up and the phase converter I was using was putting out some low voltages. I went to the seminar at the NAMES show and took in what the fellow had to say. After waiting for shipment on some run capacitors, I installed the caps tonight and am seeing voltages in the normal range.

She is now ready for some action!

DSCN1733s.JPG

Hello,

She sure is pretty, I bet you can't wait to get chips all over her. The first machine I had in the shop was a bridgeport clone, couldn't wait to get her leveled, electrified, phased, trammed and running.

Best Wishes

Chuck M

Bernd said:
Nice machine Steve. I see you've got quite there torque advantage on that vise. :big:

Bernd

unfortunately that big old vise will be scrapped. The lead screw is bent very bad. I will be using the vise to the left. I like that old thing. It is very heavy and solid as a rock. I think it was dropped and landed on the screw end where the handle goes on.

I brought it home and took it apart. I cleaned it up and painted everything. The swivel based and bed were machined. When i put the screw in and tightened everything, it would'nt even rotate.

Bummer :(

Nice score. Looks like a real cozy shop.

Steve that's a great big space you have there.....drooling is not gentlemanly so I'll put it down to age! Not pursuing full Alibre purchase since I am nowhere near challenging the present program.....

I saw on eBay that KBC tool had Mitutoyo, 2 axis, 12 X 30 DRO systems for $660 bucks plus shipping. That is exactly what the 9 X 42 Bridgeport uses. The kit comes with all the hardware and brackets. These systems were $1650 last year but the new model is out so they want to get rid of them. So I jumped in the car and went over to get one and asked about the cost of another display box and scale for Z axis.

I bought 2 complete systems for $1000 and used the 30 inch scale for the knee. I am going to go back and get a 6 inch scale and do the spindle. Not a bad deal considering this is all top of the line stuff and only 200 bucks more than the meister after shipping.

I still need to mount the displays and put some aluminum angle over the scales.

P.S. They still have 3 systems left if you know of anybody looking.

DSCN1780.JPG

DSCN1781.JPG

DSCN1782.JPG

Back