Too Hot for the Shop Lights?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
It got a little warm here today.
The thermometer at a bank on my way home from work at 3:00PM was
reading a balmy 100 degrees F (about 38C)

My basement shop is not air conditioned, so it does warm up down there.
My cheap WalMart fluorescent shop lights refuse to light up when it's this hot.
Perhaps it's time to replace them with better lights.

OR I can just sit here at the computer next to the air conditioner ducts
and wait for the basement to cool off... :D

Rick

hey rick..............must be nice to have that cool weather :big:

they just reported on the radio that it was 34C and the humidity makes it feel like 42C at pearson airport in toronto :eek:

just like you i went to the shop and it is just too warm so i'm sitting in the basement with air and cold beverages!!!! 8) ;D

chuck

Its about 93F over here, and me living 1/2 mile from The Bay its pretty humid. But everything we have is airconditioned, if it aint my dad simply wont work. Its too hot for him, not to mention he has hyperhidrosis (you sweat ALOT)

I was talking to one of the guys at work this morning in the air conditioned locker room.
He said, "You take it easy out there today!"

My reply was, If it isn't easy, it won't be getting done today! :big:

Rick

been 33C in toronto, they do this humidity indexing and come up with a 'feels like' number of 41C. warm. Whether its running the lathe in the garage or throwing a baseball around you're soaking in minutes. Dehumidifier running full bore to stave off the rust. I was in the desert in Mexico last week, thermometer topped at 50C, thats 122F. Then you get into a car that had been in the sun. ouch. First time i've felt heat like that, its just oppresive.

Been through a desert on a horse with no name. it felt good to be out of the rain. in a desert you cant remember your name because there aint no body to tell you name

Yes it may be about drugs, but its a good song. :)

I won't get boring here, but I worked in jungle environment in a past time.
88 degrees F at 140% humidity. On the days it didn't rain you felt like you
were moving around in a hot cloud.
The ways of machine tools would rust in hours not years.
You did what you had to to get the job done.

Would I do it again?

NO!

Rick

Ok, as long as we are telling "war" stories...

We were taking a load of gasoline through the Panama Canal in the summer heading for California. The engine room was around 130, the boiler room must have been at least 160. Needless to say, you didn't spend much time in there. Where ever you stepped you left puddles of sweat on the deck plates. If you looked back you could see about 6 puddles, and watch them evaporate! When you had enough you went outside on the weather deck, where it was 115. And got a chill.

Fortunately, that only lasted a couple days. When we hit the Pacific all was back to normal.

Latest posts

Back