TokyuHands,Osaka,Japan

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to have to check that out if I end up in Japan for work again next year... spent Jan through Apr there this year (in Yokosuka), and there appears to be a store in Yokohama, just a train ride away :)

Hi RennKafer,

I just found one hobby machinist Joint that sells mini machine tools,cutting tools,turntables etc etc. eqv to LMS Grizzly etc.
Please going into www.toyoas.jp. They have show room and shop outside Tokyo.Some time next year will drop by to check it out. I have the address but it is in Japanese Kanji only. Means have to run to hotel counter for help.Subway and train system is very good. Station masters are on hand to help none Japanese speaking tourist like us. Given the station name,they will tell you how fare is,which line and which platform. If memorising the station name is impossible that memorise the station number like ''M20 Mitutoyo".
Ha ha. No station named Mitutoyo yet.

At a glance, the machine tools are ex-China but made to Japanese expectation which is good.

Good craft /hobby stores are hard to find here as well . That is what is great about Cabin fever Show. Lots of good vendors.

Tandy Leather company used to sell leather craft stuff. Radio shack has been leaning more to consumer electronics than DIY. They do have some aduino and make fair stuff.

Micheal's and hobby lobby seem to carry mostly art and decor hobby things.

Woodcraft is nice but dedicated to woodworking related crafts.

So was the coffee and ice cream in the same store or two doors down?

Tin

I do like WoodCraft, we have a small one locally. Since I dabble a bit in wood working and metal work I visit the store a few times a year. The nice thing about WoodCraft stores is that they are the best place in town to get sharpening equipment. Sharpening equipment is equally applicable to metal and woodworking.

We do have a number of commercial suppliers locally but I've resisted buying from them and prefer the catalog companies. We do have a local steel supply yard I visit once and awhile that has racks of structurals in handier sizes. Nice but I don't use a lot of structural steel.

Those Mitu prices are great!

¥13,125 is approx $145 aussie. Cheapest I've ever seen them locally was more than double the price, and that was some time ago. Just checked Element14 (aka Farnell / Newark) and what appears to be the same Mitu 25mm Digital (293-832) is over $400.

¥7140 for the other Mic is approx $80 aussie. I'd be happy with that.

I must find an Japanese Mitu vendor online that posts to Oz.

Edit: RS Components has one for $274. Not bad, but $145 is better ;)

Hi HMEM Folks,
I am here at TokyuHands again but this time found my way to another TokyuHands store in Shibuya that has more to offer on metal machining.I gave up with M.I.China and Polish micrometers. Bought this 7140 yen Mitutoyo mike. Same price as last year's. Temperature hit 15C which nice and balmy and the sun came out. Otsuka is 5 train stops away from busy/expensive Shinjuku. Not too many tourists come to Otsuka and hence food prices not driven up crazy. For folks wanting to to Tokyo,Otsuka is ideal
and for food and lodging. Being on the circle line makes it so easy to visit the tourist attractions like Tokyo Tower,Imperial Palace,Emperor Meiji Shrine,Asakusa Temple,Harajuku,Yoyogi etc etc. 160----250 yen takes you too many spots. From here to Narita Airport,the train fare is 1280 compared to Airport Bus at 3000 yen and taxi fare 20,000---30,000 yen.

IMG_0181.jpg

Saw a Mitutoyo staring at me. Took it to cashier but box missing. Gus was saved from splurging 131,000 Japanese Yen.:D:D:D:D See foto.

.:wall::wall::wall::wall:

When I was in Japan, a dollar was Y360. That'd make that mike $363.00+! At lest back then. What a Y worth nowadays?

currently 1 USD is approx 102 yen so the cost of the mics was $69.
if the yen was worth 360 yen the mic would only be $19.
Tin

Here is my hoard from TokyuHands,Shibuya and Shinjuku.
J.I.S. Bright Mild Steel Rods
Bought some quality bright mild steel bars which are hard to buy in Singapore. They import nasty quality from everywhere except UK USA and Japan. Japanese steel bars are O.D.precised and good machineability.Will use the 6mm and 8mm to finish up the 4'' R.T.
Bought ample inventory to last for quite a while.

Nicholson Files
Bought fine cut files. Nicholson is hard to come by in Singapore.
NTN Bearings
Was surprised NTN Bearings cost much lower than in Singapore.Found one NMB bearing
made in Singapore!!!. In Singapore they sell NTN bearings at very high price and for little bit less they sell you Chinese Beaarings which are junk.
Nachi Drills
Hard to buy Nachi 0.1mm incremental twist drills. I have no confidence with M.I.China drills.Sure hate to scrap my job piece with a broken new M.I.C. drill.

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Last edited:
Back