TokyuHands,Osaka,Japan

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made my annual pilgrimage to TokyuHands,Japan.
Depending on locality,above can vary in size,range and kind of items offered.
Too many floors and too many items we want and not needed.
Gus fell to the temptation. Bought too many wants not needed essentials.
Bought a "Dremel" China copy which comes with many tools.

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

Hi Gus, that's just the store that can't be resisted, they seem to lure in the unsuspecting hobbyist to purchase items that they don't really need. But still, it's always great to walk out with something.

Paul.

Great shop Gus. I have the same PROXXON machine like that one one your picture.
It is a great machine.

Barry

Looks good Gus, thanks for posting. This looks like what we call a "craft shop", do you ever go to a just a tool shop in Japan?

Nice
It has been a long time since I have seen a hobby based department store.

seem like one needs to shop on the internet for the good stuff.

There is a place about 45 minutes from me that I will have to take you if you ever visit.
the place is a steel yard. the have precut and cutoff aluminum steel and some brass bar stock and a hardware store that puts Home depot and lowes to shame. then next store same owner is the surplus barn. one could easily spend half a day browsing. And if you need a cat , afront end loader a backhoe or a earth mover there is good change you can find one of those as well. on a good day there is old iron mill or two and a couple lathes.
Tin

Looks good Gus, thanks for posting. This looks like what we call a "craft shop", do you ever go to a just a tool shop in Japan?

Looks like I have to learn to speak some Japanese. I have a vision.That is to look for such a shop. Ten years ago they were heavily stocked up with hobby machinist tools. This trip is kind of disapointing.They have cut down inventory
and range. I see no more Sakai Lathes n Millds on display. Friend of mine advised I should go to Machita which is nearer to Tokyo. Will do that next trip.

Saw a Mitutoyo staring at me. Took it to cashier but box missing. Gus was saved from splurging 131,000 Japanese Yen.:D:D:D:D See foto.

Gus was heart-broken and went for a Cream Puff and coffee for consolation--
no Digital Mike to take home. My Japanese English must be so bad.I got Ice-cream instead.:wall::wall::wall::wall:

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

Good craft /hobby stores are hard to find here as well . That is what is great about Cabin fever Show. Lots of good vendors.

Tandy Leather company used to sell leather craft stuff. Radio shack has been leaning more to consumer electronics than DIY. They do have some aduino and make fair stuff.

Micheal's and hobby lobby seem to carry mostly art and decor hobby things.

Woodcraft is nice but dedicated to woodworking related crafts.

So was the coffee and ice cream in the same store or two doors down?

Tin

Saw a Mitutoyo staring at me. Took it to cashier but box missing. Gus was saved from splurging 131,000 Japanese Yen.:D:D:D:D See foto.
Isnt that more like 13,000 yen, which seems a bit reasonable. :)

Gus,
If you ever travel to the US, here's a toy store for you:

http://www.grizzly.com/inside_grizzly/4/5

I've bought most of my machines there. It's only a 2 hour drive. Short enough so I can go if needed but far enough so I don't go broke between SS checks:D

Cheers,
Phil

Those Mitu prices are great!

¥13,125 is approx $145 aussie. Cheapest I've ever seen them locally was more than double the price, and that was some time ago. Just checked Element14 (aka Farnell / Newark) and what appears to be the same Mitu 25mm Digital (293-832) is over $400.

¥7140 for the other Mic is approx $80 aussie. I'd be happy with that.

I must find an Japanese Mitu vendor online that posts to Oz.

Edit: RS Components has one for $274. Not bad, but $145 is better ;)

Last edited:
I think you did well Gus, that ice cream looks yummy!

Just fantasising now, but how nice would it be to have a meet up in Japan once in a while for a tool buy! Then maybe Germany, then Switzerland ...

Oops sorry, I'm awake now. Nice dream though!

Vic.

Gus,
If you ever travel to the US, here's a toy store for you:

http://www.grizzly.com/inside_grizzly/4/5

I've bought most of my machines there. It's only a 2 hour drive. Short enough so I can go if needed but far enough so I don't go broke between SS checks:D

Cheers,
Phil

Hi Phil,
Now waiting to cash in on some investments. Where is Grizzly located?
And where is Phil located . Will look up both and also inspect Phil's machineshop. Will be heartbreaking as my luggage is limited by budget flights.So cannot buy much but will be an eye opener.

My darling boss wants to go to the world's biggest aquarium outside Osaka. Will post fotos.

Food wise,Osaka is paradise and far cheaper than cut throat Tokyo. With yen gone down,price now affordable.

Gus,
I'm located in Lancaster, PA. Bring a fish, I'll drop it on the barbeque. Then we'll go to Grizzly.

Cheers,
Phil

Those Mitu prices are great!

¥13,125 is approx $145 aussie. Cheapest I've ever seen them locally was more than double the price, and that was some time ago. Just checked Element14 (aka Farnell / Newark) and what appears to be the same Mitu 25mm Digital (293-832) is over $400.

¥7140 for the other Mic is approx $80 aussie. I'd be happy with that.

I must find an Japanese Mitu vendor online that posts to Oz.

Edit: RS Components has one for $274. Not bad, but $145 is better ;)

Give the guys at www.bolt.com.au a call they have Mitu micrometers listed but I can't see the digital one you refer to. If they can get it in, you might be surprised at their price. But the vernier ones are just a bit over $100.

Cheers Rod, I had completely forgotten about them Thm:

Hi All,

Temptation got me again,went to another TokyuHands.Hurrray !! They have no Mitu Digital Outside Mike. But I found the spring steel strips I need to ;):wall: the Webster Engine Cam Rocker Arm. Same store,if you have the time and patience have many nooks and crannies with hidden treasures. Bars/rods/flats------brass,alu,steel etc are on display.They have short lengths and long lengths too. Another temptation just came up------Mitu 100mm Digital Caliper. I'll take a peek tomorrow and I promise not to buy it!!!! Promise.;):wall:

IMG_2079.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

Going to have to check that out if I end up in Japan for work again next year... spent Jan through Apr there this year (in Yokosuka), and there appears to be a store in Yokohama, just a train ride away :)

Bars/rods/flats------brass,alu,steel etc are on display.They have short lengths and long lengths too.

Damn! Wish there were stores here that stocked materials. :mad:
Sure, it's probably expensive, but it's immediately available (short drive maybe).

Latest posts

Back