Today's scrap prices

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arghhh! I've just today paid £12.50 for 1 foot of 3/4" square and 1 foot of 9/16" round brass rod. I need to find one of these scrap merchants!!

Have a look at my entry on "the other site" Paul, I keep telling you! Ian.

Abby was quoted £40 for 2" of 2" x 1" of aluminium.

SF,

The one we have here in Crewe is a major recycle yard, everything from drinks cans to armoured personnel carriers.

They used to empty out every month, but now it is once a fortnight, so you have to be there at the right time.

Other smaller yards bring their junk here for recycling.

John

Circlip said:
Have a look at my entry on "the other site" Paul, I keep telling you! Ian.

Abby was quoted £40 for 2" of 2" x 1" of aluminium.

What entry?? I know you keep telling me things but I'm stoopid!

Bogstandard said:
SF,

The one we have here in Crewe is a major recycle yard, everything from drinks cans to armoured personnel carriers.

John, I've got a shop in High Town..... maybe I could get the staff to nip 'round on the appropriate day and get first shout on the goodies! ;D

Not far away.

Houston's
Victoria Avenue,
Crewe,
Cheshire,
CW2 7SR

They have just got a load of bright mild steel in, up to 2" diameter, 13 ft lengths, you will pay about 10% of what it normally costs. Slip one of the lads a couple of quid and they will cut it up to whatever lengths you want. Don't forget to take a large wad with you and a truck to pick it all up. But stay away from the engraving plate until I have had my fill tomorrow. I only need about 10 kilo, so there should be plenty left for you. I might also get a load more of that 1/2" bar, it is always handy to have in. Only got about 10 ft of it today.

Good hunting

John

20 kilos of real good stuff again today. Enough engraving plate to last me for years.

SF, what is left, you are welcome to.

John

I went to my local scrap yard asking for a block of cast iron......they found this piece...
11072008.jpg

they then had fun trying to cut off a piece......
11072008004.jpg

cutting it with a torch didn't work...not even close......
11072008005.jpg

so they used a disc cutter to cut it...... 1 and a half hours later I had a chunk.......all this for a drink!

They always keep brass and ally back for me and never charge a great deal.....I drive there in my classic Mk2 Jaguar and they always want that in return!!!! They are a great bunch and interested in what I am up to. It pays to make contact and hopefully friends of your local scrap yard! (UK based)

Latest posts

Back