Today's scrap prices

Help Support HMEM:

SignalFailure

Reaction score
Arghhh! I've just today paid £12.50 for 1 foot of 3/4" square and 1 foot of 9/16" round brass rod. I need to find one of these scrap merchants!!

C

Circlip

Have a look at my entry on "the other site" Paul, I keep telling you! Ian.

Abby was quoted £40 for 2" of 2" x 1" of aluminium.

B

Bogstandard

SF,

The one we have here in Crewe is a major recycle yard, everything from drinks cans to armoured personnel carriers.

They used to empty out every month, but now it is once a fortnight, so you have to be there at the right time.

Other smaller yards bring their junk here for recycling.

John

SignalFailure

Reaction score
Circlip said:
Have a look at my entry on "the other site" Paul, I keep telling you! Ian.

Abby was quoted £40 for 2" of 2" x 1" of aluminium.
What entry?? I know you keep telling me things but I'm stoopid!

SignalFailure

Reaction score
Bogstandard said:
SF,

The one we have here in Crewe is a major recycle yard, everything from drinks cans to armoured personnel carriers.
John, I've got a shop in High Town..... maybe I could get the staff to nip 'round on the appropriate day and get first shout on the goodies! ;D

B

Bogstandard

Not far away.

Houston's
Victoria Avenue,
Crewe,
Cheshire,
CW2 7SR

They have just got a load of bright mild steel in, up to 2" diameter, 13 ft lengths, you will pay about 10% of what it normally costs. Slip one of the lads a couple of quid and they will cut it up to whatever lengths you want. Don't forget to take a large wad with you and a truck to pick it all up. But stay away from the engraving plate until I have had my fill tomorrow. I only need about 10 kilo, so there should be plenty left for you. I might also get a load more of that 1/2" bar, it is always handy to have in. Only got about 10 ft of it today.

Good hunting

John

B

Bogstandard

20 kilos of real good stuff again today. Enough engraving plate to last me for years.

SF, what is left, you are welcome to.

John

Metal Mickey

Reaction score
I went to my local scrap yard asking for a block of cast iron......they found this piece...

they then had fun trying to cut off a piece......

cutting it with a torch didn't work...not even close......

so they used a disc cutter to cut it...... 1 and a half hours later I had a chunk.......all this for a drink!

They always keep brass and ally back for me and never charge a great deal.....I drive there in my classic Mk2 Jaguar and they always want that in return!!!! They are a great bunch and interested in what I am up to. It pays to make contact and hopefully friends of your local scrap yard! (UK based)

Latest posts

Group Builder