Titanium

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKIPRAT

Reaction score
Happy New Year To All

Hi once again first post of the new year and all that stuff i have just been digging my way to the back of my storage shed and dug out this bit of sheet metal some say it was stainless steel but i always had a thought it was something very different so i took a note of it's markings and did a bit of research on the web and found out it was Titanium made to Rolls-Royce specification and looking at the rare metals for sale advert on homeworkshop it could be worth quite a bit more than i thought it was dimensions are 2000mm long 158mm wide 1.2mm thick i shall now have to ponder what to do with it probably sell it and put the procceeds to the mill fund.

Titanium.jpg

Cheers Paul

We work with a lot of Titanium where I work. It is some tough milling stuff. Plus the chips are flammable so be careful thin small chips can ignite we had several machines go up in flame. It burns super white hot like a flare and can only be put out by smothering it.
Back when I was in the shop I mean way back we were into a lot of military stuff and one of my jobs involved machining some parts for the cruse missile and they were mostly titanium.

The stuff is light but tough and non magnetic.

Skiprat,
Unless you have a large too budget I would sell it and get stuff you can use. I am not sure what alloy it is but it doesn't look like CP or 6-4. Those seem to be the most free machining and they will eat up an insert in very little time if you have speeds and/or feeds wrong by a little bit.

The flammability is also a concern. I had a fire machining it in the home shop where small cuts are a reality.

Not fun stuff

Sean

Hi Sean

according to the spec i have from the original refiners MSRR8608 is CP grade3 sheet
after reading up on titanium and the advice from fellow members i don't intend to machine it myself it seems to be just about as flammable as magnesium and we don't want any flares going off in the shed .

Cheers Paul

Back