Titanium in the home shop...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am no expert on this subject but during my fire training we were told to use cement powder to put out a mag fire. the reason given was that the powder must be dry and if cement is a powder it must be dry ,

yes the demo was to put water on the mag fire ;D but the cement powder damped it down very quickly

Thanks for that video THX-1138 ;D - very informative!

:big: All the short and the long answer proves not to use CO2 on these metals! Thm:

Regards, Arnold

I must admit that I've had two small fires on my lathe turning Titanium, luckily there was not much swarf about at the time. The other problem (I believe) is that Titanium gives off UV light when it burns so it's not good to look at it either.

Vic.

Seanol said:
Rick,
I agree. Titanium has the same properties. My saving grace was the dirt and I was able to move most of the turnings away from the fire!

I worked for a titanium company and the fines pile would steam in a rain storm. I've been told it has been smoldering since the 50's :eek:

Another thing to watch out for is grinding. Aluminum and iron have the makings of thermite so I am told!

I will be better prepared next time. Luckily there should be no more turning work on the Ti!

true i did it with my dads bench grinder a few years back my dad sharpened all his chisels on it one weekend and i used it the day after to grind the edge off a magnesium motorcycle engine cover and leaft the pile under the wheel not thinking later my brother ground a fine tip on an old screwdriver wich ignited the resulting pile of filings and before we could shout what the f**k it had burned through the bench cupboard and melted the bottom of an old steel bucket in the cupboard below
they dont call thermite the mother of satan for nothing

Zee,
I hope the 23rd is not a cursed date. Going by my recent failures you could make the argument for every weekend in June!

Sean

Back