Tips for keeping engines shiny

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petit

Reaction score
It has probably been said before but does anyone have any tips for maintaining the shine from polished metals, brass tends to tarnish fairly rapidly i was just wondering if there was anythin to prevent it. I dont know if lacquer is an option but will lacquer even adhere to a polished surface?

Thanks
Joe

I have some engines that were finished 10 - 15+ years ago, I used automotive paint and clear-coat on the paint and polished metal. There is some darkening of the cast iron parts but most brass/copper remains bright. I spent at least $100 on the finishes and related hardeners/thinners so don't expect similar results from a $10 rattle can. I don't think anything else will preserve brass.
This one was completed in 1997 and still looks the same.

That looks great phillip! Thanks for your reply, it leads me to another question now though, will clear coat stick to polished surfaces? Like polished brass for instance, or do you have to rough the surface up abit for the paint to stick which by doing so may dull the finish again?

Cheers
Joe

Thanks, I polish and then clear coat IMMEDIATELY. Especially with cast iron, that stuff will rust instantly just from the humidity in the air. Yes the automotive clear will stick to a smooth surface.

I once installed some bar brass railing in a motor home for someone that was handicapped. The customers did not want to polish the brass so we had the rails clear powder coated, that worked very well and lasts a very long time under use.

Back