Tiny Inline 4 Cylinder IC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcmillin

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
After Making the Tiny IC I have decided to make a 4 Cylinder Inline version using the same working dimensions. (Bore-Stroke-Valve Size and lift.) But one main difference is the intake valve will be controlled by the cam instead of Automatic like the Tiny IC

I am Going With an OHV design, I have not decided how to cool it yet, I did not leave enough material to cut fins in the block, and my water cooling design is still in the works, I may have jumped the gun making the block, well see how it turns out.

OK I have been talking about it long enough and now its time do some Millin'!!

I had to get creative with my design, Because the entire block HAS to come out of a 2" round bar of aluminum. (I have a bunch of it)

I started by making a square shape, Although none of the sides are equal length.
CIMG1276.jpg

Then I started to make the funky shaped bearing and oil pan surface. (It is shaped this way because the size of the parent bar was very limiting)
CIMG1277.jpg

Here it is mated with the oil pan.
CIMG1279.jpg

Now it is time to hollow out the oil pan and provide the necessary clearance for the crank.
CIMG1280.jpg

The finished oil Pan.
CIMG1281.jpg

CIMG1282.jpg

And here it is on the Block
CIMG1283.jpg

Drilling the camshaft tunnel.
CIMG1284.jpg

Milling the crankcase.
CIMG1288.jpg

CIMG1287.jpg

Drilling the holes and finishing with a boring bar.
CIMG1293.jpg

I used an end mill to rough the size out due to clearance.
CIMG1294.jpg

boring the holes. There are three different diameters in each cylinder. (To make pressing and fitting easier.
CIMG1296.jpg

CIMG1300.jpg

Drilling the push rod holes. (Most of this will be milled away.
CIMG1301.jpg

Now its time to make the Bearing caps. I decided to just make the holes to the right size and distance, and then finish them while installed in the block.
CIMG1303.jpg

CIMG1306.jpg

CIMG1308.jpg

CIMG1307.jpg

CIMG1309.jpg

Drilling the crank journals.
CIMG1315.jpg

CIMG1316.jpg

CIMG1312.jpg

Now it is time to finish milling the blocks.
CIMG1324.jpg

CIMG1325.jpg

CIMG1328.jpg

CIMG1330.jpg

CIMG1331.jpg

CIMG1332.jpg

And here is the "Mostly" finished block.
CIMG1333.jpg

CIMG1343.jpg

And a bit of scale.
CIMG1342.jpg

Thus far, I am two weeks into the project, and 50% of the engine does not even exist on paper yet, I got anxious to do some millin', and in my hast I forgot to drill the required holes for the water jackets. :wall:

Thats it for now, Going to get to work on the head, But I need to tram my mill first, the finish on the block is less than satisfactory due to out of tram condition.

Kel

Kel,
Looks like fun. Great start. I am sure that a lot of people will be watching.
Gail in NM

th_confused0052

You are killing me here! Kel, that is a great piece of work. This is going to really, REALLY be an interesting one to watch unfold. Has there been any thought to putting drawings together or are you using the old 'scribbles on the dining linens' approach that most of us use? ;D
I like your approach in carving out that c'case too. Thank you for sharing the images of what is surely to be a great running engine. Thm:

BC1
Jim

What a cool lookin' little engine that is, Kel. I hope you will draw up the plans real nice so we can make one too. :bow:

-trout

Hi Kel,
Nice start on your 4 cylinder engine. As far as cooling it you can cut a pocket on the side of the block opposite the valve side. This will go in a little past the bores to provide water flow around the sleeves. You can then make a cover plate for the side of the block to seal it up.
gbritnell

Wow....thats some real piece of work! I admire your machining skills and for sure I will follow along your build.

Happy machining, regards Jeroen

Great start Kel!

Looking really good. I'll be following along for sure.

Kel,

You are off to a great start. You make it seem so easy, but I know better.

How about an evaporative cooling system. Build a catch pan below the engine and pump water over the engine and let it run down on the outside.

I will be following this build closely.

SAM

Thanks Gail, Jim, Dennis, George, Jeroen, Kevin, Sam, and Carl!!

Gail, Fun is an understatement, I am having the time of my life. I hope to complete them by Christmas, So there should be plenty of pics (Finger Crossed) That is quite optimistic, but it will be the longest build I have undertaken. I Still have a lot of design work to do, and I have been working on the block design for a month.

Jim and Dennis, I have a Solid Edge 2D .dft file of everything I am building so far. It is quite messy and incomplete, but all the dimensions can be taken with the program. If you have solid edge 2D I can send you the file. If you dont have the program it is available for free, but they do make you fill out some consumer report form before downloading it, but it is a complete program given away by the company that created it because 3D is so popular.

I love the program and virtually all of my X-Y co-ordinance used for milling and locating holes are taken with almost no math involved.

Sadly I wont have time till these are done to create a good set of plans.

George, Great idea, I was thinking something similar, plus this will add visual interest to the side of the engine.

Sam, Great Idea, that would indeed add some intrigue to the engine, however
I may be putting these in some kind of R/C car/truck/tank/boat.

Thanks again everyone for subscribing to the Tiny Inline thread, I hope not to let anyone down. I may or May not meet my deadline, these could take awhile.

Kel

Really neat, Kel. This looks like it will be a great build!

Dean

Lookin great Kel!!!!!! This is really going to be a fun one to watch.

It always looks so easy on that big computer screen but it looks a lot different in the milling vise.

Wow, that's some nice work, Kel! That little engine should be a screamer!

I know what you mean about getting the itch to cut metal. I've been wanting to get started doing actual work on my hot tube engine, but, unlike other projects, I'm determined not to start until I have all the parts figured out (and drawn!). However, it hasn't stopped me from buying some material, which I may or may not wind up using!

Chuck

wow, this is another great thread that I can't miss
I was watching at the MLA diesel of quinette a minutes ago, and now I find another IC engine, a 4 cylinder too
too many treasures in this forum :big:
Kel your start is impressive, very good work: I'm hooked
I too hope that in the future you find time to organize your draws in a complete plan of the engine
but now concentrate on the build please, it's coming very well :bow:

Thank you for your interest Dean, Arv, Chuck, Jeff, and Ariz.

Nothing done as of yet, This is just an update.

I am still looking to get them done by Christmas. I have a lot of work to do, and real work keeps getting in the way. stickpoke I am stuck siding a house by myself right now hope to complete it tomorrow, or maybe Monday, well see how badly I get the itch to machine these heads come morning.

I just ordered up some cast iron from Speedy Metals, and some 7/32 hex 12l14 for the spark plugs.

This will be my first time machining cast iron in solid form. I have practiced on what I think is cast iron pipe from the hardware store. I have read that cast iron machines nice but is very abrasive, and protection of the lathe bed should be done.

So, how do I "SAFLEY" cover my lathe ways to protect them from the shavings? I pretty sure a towel is out of the question, so what do I use. Or is this not necessary?

Kel

I'm not saying it isn't necessary, but I never knew cast iron was supposed to be abrasive. I've never covered the ways on my lathe...

I do, however, have to clean the soles of my shoes regularly when machining cast iron. The resident, clean floor police, gets a tad crotchety when I track black carbon from the shavings into the house!

Chuck

kcmillin said:
I just ordered up some cast iron from Speedy Metals, and some 7/32 hex 12l14 for the spark plugs.

This will be my first time machining cast iron in solid form. I have practiced on what I think is cast iron pipe from the hardware store. I have read that cast iron machines nice but is very abrasive, and protection of the lathe bed should be done.

So, how do I "SAFLEY" cover my lathe ways to protect them from the shavings? I pretty sure a towel is out of the question, so what do I use. Or is this not necessary?

Kel

Nice project Kel. Any chance your plans will be made available to others on the forum? Not that I'm a capable enough candidate. :'(

I would cover The ways when machining mystery cast iron, or any CI. It may contain abrasive Silica Sand.
I've also heard that bearing bronze is very abrasive , so I use throwaway 'Paper Towels' to catch the chips when I machine CI or bronze. Its good to use If for no other reason than to lessen the horrific filth that machining CI leaves behind. Also, I found out the hard way that wearing a 'Particle Mask' is a good idea too!

Keeping my act clean is better than getting hit in the back of the head with a marble rolling pin, or 5-lb bag of flour! :big:

Chuck knows exactly what I mean! ;D

-MB

I use aluminum kitchen foil to cover the ways etc. of the lathe when I work on CI, sometimes I use newspaper if I'm doing just a small piece as newspaper has a tendency to shred too easily, at least for the likes of a gorilla like me. ;D

BC1
Jim

Latest posts

Back