Timing belts - what to get and where to buy?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clivel

Reaction score
So my workshop activities have come to a temporary halt because my little lathe has broken a drive belt.
The lathe uses three timing belts according to the manual they are:
MXL 90Z-3/16
MXL 110Z-3/16
MXL 150Z-3/8
Are those standard timing belt codes, a brief web search didn't turn anything up? And where would be a good place to buy replacements, my first choice would be somewhere in Canada?
Thanks,
Clive

time to get your google fu in order

try a search for MXL 90 Z 3/16

its the space that matters between the 90 and Z
same for the others

Stuart

Thanks Stuart,
That helped :)
These are Emco parts for a Unimat PC Basic lathe.

Although the Emco number is unique to them, it appears that the actual belts are standard off the shelf. Using the the MXL 90Z-3/16 for example, the MXL denotes the pitch, 3/16 the width in inches and 90 the number of teeth. I can't figure out if the Z has any significance however.

I am still looking for somewhere to buy the belts in small quantities, so any leads would be appreciated.

Clive

Thanks Eric,
What a useful site, I have now ordered the belts :)

Clive;
Gates and Goodyear produce most of these types of belts. Going into most industrial supply distributors will get you the belts in quick order. Try this Gates distributor locator for Gates distributors in the Vancouver area;

http://www.gates.com/industrial/distributors/index.cfm?location_id=3364

I sourced belts for my 9x20 and Taig lathes thru their distributor in Kelowna (Applied Technologies), next day delivery and cheaper than most online outlets. You should be able to easily get the belts in Vancouver.

Cheers Garry

Thanks Gary,
Turns out that not only are there a few distributors in the Vancouver area, but one of them is actually in walking distance from where I work. So I will probably take a wander over lunch time tomorrow.
Clive

After Mcmaster Carr cancelled my order because they refuse to ship to Canada, and as none of the local distributors had in stock, I looked around for an alternative source of belts, that is when I found Polytech Design Inc http://shop.polybelt.com/
The belts arrived today. All in all I was very happy with Polytech's service and their online ordering system. Also they shipped via USPS (U.S. Postal Service) which is good news for Canadians because I wasn't charged HST and the over-inflated brokerage fee charged by UPS on delivery.

Oh did I mention that they shipped via USPS which is really bad news if you are in a hurry. The belts being tiny were shipped in a "USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate envelope", which took two and a half weeks to get here at a cost of $US14.00, what appalling service from the USPS, no wonder UPS and other private carriers have been so successful.
In contrast, the same day I ordered the belts I ordered some tools from ArcEuro Trade in the UK, a much heavier parcel that only cost a few dollars more via Royal Mail landed at my door less than a week after ordering, also with no brokerage fee.

That Global Priority service is terrible. They should have shipped by first class air mail and it would have been there in a week. Some companies have a policy of only using a traceable service, I worked for one that did.

Greg

Back