Time's Up

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutsqueezer

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

The retirement luncheon this afternoon was the best. Given by a bunch of co-workers and bosses for whom I have great respect. The Ivy Bridge project I've worked so hard on for the last two years is about to see mass production and make Intel a great deal of money. I was one of about 8 thousand engineers who worked on that project. My job was to see that electrical, thermal and mechanical engineering teams all worked together and were on the same page as to design issues, challenges and schedules with respect to the design of the substrate that the silicon attaches to. It's now a done deal for me.

Here is what was surprising:

There were little speeches made by individuals during the lunch, each saying a few words on my behalf. Despite having accomplished a good deal in terms of developing a very sophisticated product for a very high-tech company, do you know what most of the comments centered around? It wasn't my expertise and hard work they were most impressed with, it was my balance between work and home life and specifically my model engine hobby that they most admired. Turns out I am a role model for how to use skill sets (maybe acquired on the job or maybe not) and apply them to a life outside of Intel.

In the past, I have brought my model engines into work and fired them up in the labs to show those who may be interested. Always, they were fascinated. Additionally, each month we hold a photo contest and the winning photo gets greatly enlarged, framed and hung in the aisles. I've got two of them hanging there. No, these aren't your typical sunsets and flowers - most of them are - but rather model steam engines that I have built over the last several years. In a company of 45,000+ engineers it is not surprising that there would be an appreciation of all things shiny and mechanical and no surprise that it can manifest into a photo contest slam. Today, I was presented with one of those pictures, signed by my co-workers with well wishes and statements about how they are taking a cue from me and expanding their horizons to beyond the gray cubicle walls. Turns out there is more to life than the next Intel tape-out (product completion). I'm glad I was able to open their eyes a bit.

I will hang the picture proudly on my shop wall and raise the occasional beer to my old cohorts and my new-found freedom.

Clink!

-dennis

Congralution Dennis isn't it great to be admired by you peers for things other then work. Sometimes it is the simplest things we do in life that people admire the most. I would be very elated if I were you.

Don

congratulations Dennis!

Here's to a new era of time well spent in pursuit of true satisfaction in ones own efforts.

You're your own boss now. Well, maybe second in command.

Congratulations Trout!!! Not only a nice day for you, but one that was undoubtedly very well deserved!! To enjoy one's work and the people one works with helps with that balance that you obviously found. Live long and prosper....oh and we will be expecting lots more models now too !! ;D

Bill

Dennis

Congratulations. Now one clock has stopped ticking and another has started ticking on what we hope will be a long journey. It can be very gratifying to be recognized for something other than just being part of the team. Enjoy that extra shop time in what ever way makes you and SWMBO the happiest. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Fantastic! Congratulations!

You're right... When you work in a cube farm (been there, done that), it's real easy to lose contact with life. Dilbert isn't a cartoon, it's a documentary.

Have a great retirement. Tonight, I'll raise my first martini to your forthcoming fun.

Congratulations Dennis. Now you will find how much time demand there is on someone that is retired. Go in the shop and lock the door, no phone, no email, just the quiet hum of a machine tool awaiting your attention.

Dennis,

Welcome to the wonderful world of retirement, (If I didn't need the money I would have retired before I started work). You can now decide, (with permission from SWMDBO of course), what to do, when to do it and who to tell to go and bite their proverbial rear end. Best of all, none of it will jeopardise your next pay cheque.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do because I know you earned it.

Best Regards
Bob

I am really impressed to hear how 8000 people can work together to make a highly advanced technological product. What incredible organization and management that must take. (And think of the money involved in such a huge undertaking!) And I am not surprised that people involved in such a complicated technological project would enjoy hearing about (and envy) someone who could make a marvelous project all on his own from start to finish.

Oh, and about retirement: My dad always described it this way: "I get up every morning with nothing to do, and when I go to bed at night, it isn't half done!". That's the kind of retirement I am looking forward to! I'll be retiring in about 5 years, and I am working hard to get into great shape, physically and financially, so that I can really enjoy it.

Congratulations Dennis. You'll probably miss the work a little, but your co-workers a lot. Here's hoping you produce many little engines and associated documentary photos during a happy, healthy and long-lasting retirement.

Regards,
Rudy

Thanks to all for the very kind remarks. I am looking forward to presenting future builds (Elmer's #11 is on the bubble) and making the videos to go along with them.

-dennis

Congratulations and good luck on your new adventure!
I have thought about retiring in the past year a few times but am reluctant on taking the step. I keep saying one more year. :big:

congrats `Trout`

I did the deed 15 years ago at 50 years young do not regret in one little bit just got a pay rise from the state as I now am 65 I was working 12 1/2 hour data and nights 24 /7 inc xmas and all the BH been doing that since I was in my last year as an apprentice at 20

Doc1955

dont forget put it off for another year is one year less to do as you please, like you I was not on your life will I pack up work, but when the firm offered a six figure golden hand shake and my firms pension straight away it was a no brainer , lucky I did take it for within the firm was taken over by the lads from up north and the golden hand shake was reduced to £25k and wait for your pension

Stuart

Congrats Trout. I work almost as hard now that I am retired than I did before. At least, now I work on what I want to work on mand when I want to. (except for the "honey do" list)

Have fun and enjoy what you do, you are the boss.

Ray

Back